Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,192   Online: 958

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Making boxes is time consuming. Wood boxes have to be well sealed, not only because of plywood fumes, but also because of the sulphur in wood.
    I don't think wood has any more sulphur in it than any other plant, which isn't much. Sulphur is used in making wood pulp though.

The only fumes from plywood might be from the glue (I think that's urea formaldehyde). I don't know if that would be harmful to photos or not, but a coat of poly urathane would mitigate any possible effect.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    . . . I'm both a photographer and woodworker . . .
    In that case, may I suggest hand-cut through dovetails, or perhaps mitered corners with blind dovetails?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Heh, I can use my Leigh jig (bought at Lee Valley - see my previous posts...bad bad bad) to do that. Hand cut dovetails are nice, but I prefer the look of machined dovetails....besides, there are some pretty funky things you can do with this jig, such as inlaid dovetails - a very cool look.

Egad, this project is going to turn into a major project if I'm not careful! And I've got all this trim finish work to do on some built in cabinets to do...wonder what project will win out? My wife might have a say in this one....
    Cheers!

-klm.

Images
    When I worked in the Darkroom (it was the darkroom in a University Archive, we had a girl there who could make a box to fit anything. and they were strong as hell. I shop at the big a tall stores, not because I am tall, and I stood on one of the boxes. It held tight. I believe they got all of their stuff from Light impressions and it was the archival cardboard with the canvas like stuff to suround the clam shell design.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like your result will be a work of art in its own right. You might check out the Light Impressions website for some ideas on the design for your box. The other issue will be making the box archivally neutral so that nothing emanating from the wood or finish will do your prints harm.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ummmm..... wood is a no no for archival storage, moisture and fungal growth as well as finish problems. Plastic or acid free archival cardboard boxes are best generally bought from Strathmor, sold in photo supply houses.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your feeling crafty 100 rag 4 ply matt scored, cut and tapped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin