Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,392   Online: 1070

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Pinhole

nasty right-click preventer

I stumbled on a right-click preventer javascript today. It puts a screaming box that runs around the screen with instructions to press 'x' to get rid of it.

The 'x' is the keyboard letter x, not the close-window X at top right.

Good for a laugh, but probably should warn people if you want them to ever come back to your site :O)

http://www.fffast.com/scripts/script_nrc_screamer.shtml
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Worse than I thought. You have to let it stop running and screaming (it will after one lap around the screen), and click the specific 'x' in it's popup box.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A simple way to stop most people from saving a copy of your images is to create a clear transparant .gif file and layer it on top of your images. Right click to save will save the blank gif to their hard drive. Of course there are ways to get past this but if your image is 72 dpi and 5-600 pixels wide there really is not much to print from.

Another option is to link to a high resolution segment of the image to show the quality available in the actual print.
    What is "Art"? Art is what I decide it is!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Markus,

I thought hard about the theft thing for along time before I posted my web-site.

I have found out over the years that you will gain more business and better business relationships by trusting in people. I am sure that my images get stolen here and there from websites and scans but I don't lose sleep on it because the people that steal from me are not going to give me any money anyway. All they will have is some crappy little picture that they can put on the fridge at home.

Make it easy for the honest people that are going to put the food on your table or as I put it "butter on the bread."

I do many art shows and presentations, with that said, a website is essential these days. You are not going to make much money on it, but it will help tremendously.

Don't loose any sleep. Instead wake up early so you can take good pictures in the morning!!!

Good Luck!!

Shane Knight
    www.shaneknight.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    All of these suggestions are good. If I may offer one additional tactic that I (I should really say, my web mistress) uses is on the images and thumbnails, not only are they small and low resolution, but the images are also split. The way that she built it was to partition the images so that if someone wants to lift an image they have to copy two or three segments and then paste them together. It doesn't yield a real useable image.

On the larger images, they retain the low resolution (72 dpi) and are effectively watermarked. Doesn't seem to detract or distract those end users that come to my website, www.orchid-photographer.com, for legitimate purposes.

Charlie

Shooter
    Holga
    Listen to Graeme Hird.

The only way to come close to making your images unable to be downloaded is making them part of a Flash movie. And even then you've prevented most, not all people from stealing it. Of course, you've also annoyed a lot of people who can't/won't install Flash.

Watermarks make your image look cheap, at the same time as overstating their value. It also displays your internet ignorance, as anyone who has used Photoshop for more than 10 minutes can easily remove the watermark.

Since this is APUG, I'll assume you have a negative. And I'll also assume your prints for sale are of higher quality than a ink-jet JPEG. Are the customers of your prints really the same people as those who would take a less than pristine image, ink-jet it and hang it above their computer desk with scotch tape?

Don't worry about it. Just worry about posting good images.

-j

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    markus --

if you are worried about copyright infringment, send gang registrations of your images to the copyright office in washington dc. they require a contact sheet and jpg's of the images you want to register. it cost 30$ every time you do it, and you can do 3 months of images at a time.

having the original negatives or watermarked files is great, and even putting © next to your name is fine too, but if you were ever going to go after someone in court for damages, without the registration of these image, you probably won't get far.

don't be under the false impression that your photographs are automaticly copyrighted at the click of the shutter (or whatever mode of creation is being used) ... without that piece of paper that says " it really is registered" you will be fighting an uphill battle..

good luck!
    -john

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    I stumbled on a right-click preventer javascript today. It puts a screaming box that runs around the screen with instructions to press 'x' to get rid of it.
    I will often use FireFox for browsing APUG galleries for that reason; the right-click function has been disabled in the gallery. Since, I use the right mouse button continually to navigate, I find this a major irritant. So, I use FireFox to get around it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One of the things I have done on my web site is to arrange my major portfolios as Adobe Acrobat files. Using Adobe security I can block users from copying, printing or extracting the images.

If you download the Acrobat files (and I wish you would) you can see the images, full screen, fairly good resolution and see the presentation of a complete body of work.

It's a pretty good way to share work and protect the image use.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Holga
    Joe,

It took about 30 seconds to copy your acrobat image. If you'd like I can send you a copy from your Dunes pdf.

While PDF might be a nice way to deliver an entire portfolio in one shot, it isn't a very good method of protecting your work.

When a website makes you jump through hoops (downloading acrobat reader) and doesn't achieve its intended goal (security of the image) it looks pretty amateurish.

Flash is only a slightly better solution because the image is only on the screen for a short time. But even that just means you need to be quick.

Any image that can be displayed on the computer screen can be copied by nothing more ingenious than taking a screen-shot. The only way to prevent this method of copying is to present a poor image that isn't worth copying. And that represents your work poorly.

-j

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin