Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,613   Online: 932

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kraft Paper or Acid-Free Backing Paper?

Would it be wrong of me to use good, old Kraft paper to cover the back of my frames instead of acid-free frame backing paper? I already process my prints using archival techniques and use conservation type dry mount tissue, foam board, and mat board. I don't foresee my photographs hanging in any museum (except my own). For me taking the picture, making the print, and framing it myself is a hobby. I do occasionally give away framed prints to friends, and I can see one day selling a framed print or two to those willing to pay (not my raison d'etre). I do worry that the prints will last for them.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    35mm
    Kraft paper is made with an acidic sulfite process and I certainly wouldn't use it for your stated application.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That was how it was done for decades and it sure ruined a lot of prints. It's OK as a dust barrier only
    if you have a true acid barrier between the print mount and the acidic paper - for example, acid free
    foamboard or, at a minimum, some inert sheet plastic.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin