Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,025   Online: 1173

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funnily enough, I just pushed some big sheets of mat board under my bed last night.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just finished building a work table in my studio and one of the things I had to include was storage for 32x40 sheets of mat board. My solution is pretty simple–it may work for others. Since I have found that flatfile storage takes up too much floor space and standing the boards on end often leads to them bowing if the box is not full, I took a piece of 1/2" MDF 36x48, added a small ledge along one long edge and mounted it at about a 30 degree angle off the back of the table. The boards sit flat against the MDF and the total floor space required is much less than a flat file needs. A drop-cloth attached to the top edge of the board keeps them covered and relatively dust-free. Since the entire table is on wheels, I can roll that side up against the wall and the boards are really out of the way most of the time. If the acidity of the MDF is a problem, a barrier sheet between it and the mat board is always easy to add.

I tend toward rather rough and ready solutions, so my version isn't pretty, but it works. The design could be made far more attractive with higher quality material and better craftsmanship, but the key is to have it all on a slant so that the boards are kept flat by gravity without taking up a lot of floor space.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked. Area under my bed is DRY!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the mention Taka!

The two main things I am aware of that cause mat board to warp are gravity and humidity so under your bed will be great. Most framing warehouses keep store their mat board vertically in and un-air-conditioned space but they are counting on it moving before it gets too bent, or the customer not caring. We have a receiving area that is not air conditioned but we only leave things in their a few days and we store all our mat board except for smaller scraps horizontal so it remains flat.

Cheers,
    Mark
    President
    Frame Destination, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    This is more of a question to guys/gals who don't have dedicated lab/office/workspace for supplies.

I am starting to accumulate quite a bit of my framing/mounting supplies because Mark from Framedestinations keeps having sale/specials that I cannot resist. (he is evil I TELL YOU! ) The challenge is, I need to keep these supplies clean, flat, free of warp, and free of any kind of damage. Right now, they are in big bags, in a flat box, and under my bed.

Does anyone in APUG land with limited space have any unique solution to storing these supplies? If so, I'd like to know what you do. For your information, I buy them in FULL size which is 32x40.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I need an anti-gravity machine.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    I need an anti-gravity machine.
    Not if you store everything horizontal...then gravity is helping keep it flat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know but I WANT an anti-gravity machine. I think it'll be a nice product for FDI to carry... no?

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    I know but I WANT an anti-gravity machine. I think it'll be a nice product for FDI to carry... no?
    LOL, I would love to carry them since I bet they would have a much better markup than picture frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can you get a time machine in, too? That way I can go back to 1900 or so with a couple hundred dollars and get myself an 8x10 with nice lens and a few film holders. :P
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Can you get a time machine in, too? That way I can go back to 1900 or so with a couple hundred dollars and get myself an 8x10 with nice lens and a few film holders. :P
    Sure why not! What great product suggestions you APUG'ers have!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin