Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,665   Online: 656

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How do you guys keep mat board, mount board, form core board clean and flat?

This is more of a question to guys/gals who don't have dedicated lab/office/workspace for supplies.

I am starting to accumulate quite a bit of my framing/mounting supplies because Mark from Framedestinations keeps having sale/specials that I cannot resist. (he is evil I TELL YOU! ) The challenge is, I need to keep these supplies clean, flat, free of warp, and free of any kind of damage. Right now, they are in big bags, in a flat box, and under my bed.

Does anyone in APUG land with limited space have any unique solution to storing these supplies? If so, I'd like to know what you do. For your information, I buy them in FULL size which is 32x40.

Thanks.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My FULL sizes (not from FD) are 60x40, stored vertically in their boxes in my "garage" and spare room. Everything always comes out just fine. Under the bed seems as good a place as any, as long as it's dry.

Shooter
    35mm
    I make far more prints than I mount or sell, so I tend to buy only as much material as I need for some specific purpose and have a minimal 'stock'. This is only practical as I'm lucky enough to have a well stocked art-supply shop within cycling distance. I carry the boards back home (yes, on my bike, and when it isn't raining or very windy) in my very large portfolio-case. Unused boards live in the case, except when I'm using it to transport mounted work obviously.

Offcuts and "other" bits and pieces are wrapped in a clean dust-sheet, inside a huge flat cardboard box which once held a table-top. This lies horizontally, coincidentally also under the bed, on top of storage boxes. Under the bed might be the largest undisturbed area in small apartments ?!

Keeping the board completely flat seems to be achievable only when it is stored horizontally and leaning a mounting board against walls quickly gives a slight curl unfortunately. You could look at (clean) painters dust-sheets for protection of whatever large box you can find, but my solution is pretty much the same as yours I think.

Shooter
    35mm
    You need a flat file

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ken472 View Post
    You need a flat file

Do you care to explain that one? "A flat file?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use flat files for mat board and flat artwork. Found mine used on Craigslist.

Here's link to a YouTube video that will explain what flat files are.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Qb5lM...%3DQb5lM2XGLuw

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh.... I see.... Thanks.

I've seen those but never knew what they were called. Unfortunately, I don't have a space for something like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep mine under the bed, wrapped in the large sheets of paper they packaged them in when I purchased. And if not the bed, under the couch in the living room - its against a wall and rarely gets moved, so they're pretty safe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time for a poll:-)

Under the bed, too. Seems to be the choice of many

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Under the bed seems as good a place as any, as long as it's dry.
    If it is not dry under your bed, it seems to me that you have problems that are a lot more important than keeping your matting supplies clean and flat.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin