Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,810   Online: 1000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    This site has been made to use as a calling card for Laura (my lovely wife) and my work. We are sending print portfolios to gallery's and it
    seems to be mandatory for the gallerists to see the work before you can even send in a portfolio.

This is not a commercial website in any stretch... I would appreciate any constructive critisism, there are changes being made now and in the future to the grammar and
    some of the images, but I am most interested in hearing if the site is effective in communicating what Laura and I do as photographers.

Our goal is to have the portfolio on the West Coast in January and start moving back to the east coast to different potential gallerys.

Here is the site www.patersoncarnie.com

PE - I know you are going to hammer me on the word solarization, but its not changing.
    Hi Bob:

Site looks great, as does the fine work.

The thumbnails are quite small on my 1920x1080 monitor - you may want to adjust them slightly.

And while I'm not going to hammer you on the "solarization" thing, for the search engines you might want to add something like this: (NB solarizations are referred to by some as the Sabbatier effect)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Only and I mean only if Ron insists.

I will be deleting some of the images to reflect the work that I am exhibiting and making the thumbnails bigger is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Hi Bob:

Site looks great, as does the fine work.

The thumbnails are quite small on my 1920x1080 monitor - you may want to adjust them slightly.

And while I'm not going to hammer you on the "solarization" thing, for the search engines you might want to add something like this: (NB solarizations are referred to by some as the Sabbatier effect)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the website. (one more edit) I really like the contrast between both of your work

My only recommendation would be to to either have a sampling of your work to the right of your bio (as your wife has) when you first click on your name, or arrange your portfolio sections vertically to the right of your bio. Otherwise (having clicked on your wife's section first) I'm kind've waiting for your thumbnails to load before I realize your categories are up at the top.

also, I think someone might have said this already, but with your portrait oriented pictures I have to scroll down to see, such that the picture navigation arrows are unavailable to me (and I have to scroll back up). Small complaints but it would be nice if the navigation controls were closer to the photo.
    Last edited by horacekenneth; 12-06-2012 at 04:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Bob, I'm a fan as well

I echo the sentiment expressed by a couple of other people regarding the unequal size of the photos on your home page. It just seems to throw things off balance a little; but otherwise, all good!

I know you said you're only putting up this site for the sake of galleries being able to see your work online but I do have a suggestion for the "guy" you spoke of who was going to "add things" for you. It's in regard to Search Engine Optimisation. I'm unsure of how interested you are in directing people other than gallery owners to your work, but assuming you'd like to be found as easily as possible, there are a few tweaks to throw into the meta data. Primarily (and the first thing I noticed) is that your home page is entitled simply "Home". My suggestion would be to make this a tad more descriptive, e.g Home of Laura Paterson and Bob Carnie's Fine Art Printing - or something along those lines - just to get your names up there and out there. Along with this, keywords can be added into the meta data so that when someone searches on Google or any other search site, your web page will be offered up when it matches the terms listed. Google's little bots have a tendency to only read, um, twenty or fifty (I can't recall which now) of the first of your keywords, so get your most important ones in there first. A description for the site can also be placed in the meta data. With your photos, each and every one of them should have a title tag and alt tag (they're visible only to search engines but don't show up on or below the actual image, so you needn't worry about the clogging up your nice clean page!). You can, of course, add captions below those you'd like to provide visible information for as well.
    These are all things search engines pay attention to and will help make your site more visible and more easily located.

I don't know if those ideas have any interest and use for you; I just thought I'd mention them

Okay, geek talk done with..... lovely images from both you and Laura, Bob, and a nice clean site within which to view them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the simplicity. Direct and no schmaltz. The work speaks for itself. I also think Mollis' post above, has a lot of merit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beautiful work by both of you! Are Laura's IR images shot with the Kodak infrared? I so miss that film! And, what is the problem with calling it "solarization." I don't get it...that is what we always called it back in my darkroom days in the lab...

I happen to like the juxtaposition of her square image next to your vertical one and I think it is complimentary. My critique is that I think your header bar/menu tabs should be centered. Otherwise, I think you have done a very good job of representing the artwork while at the same time giving some descriptive info about it. Good luck to you both!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with calling it solarisation is that there is another, quite different phenomenon that has had that name longer .

And that the Sabbatier effect is actually the correct name, even if it isn't the colloquial name.

But I still would really like to see Bob's prints, even if he has to call it the Carnie effect!

PS: Here is what wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarisation
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well Matt , you probably will as our work is going to be in Calgary in Feb then its being shipped to Vancouver.. We are hoping to have a show next spring/summer/or fall in Vancouver then down to Los Angeles.

Mmmm Carnie Effect I will have to ponder this one.

Bruce what the hell is smaltzz

Molli - points well taken.. this project is in its baby steps and we are putting this out here and on Large Format to get exactly what all of you are saying.

marenmgowan- yes the film is Kodak IR- Laura has over 26 binders full of INNOCENCE images shot on IR, we are mining the archives now and it will
    take a couple of years... We will be making enlarged negatives and printing Carbon over Palladium for all this work. The colour holga work will be done
    tri colour carbon.

kenneth - the arrangement of type is an area where I will discuss with my web guy.

Thank you all , I appreciate all the nice comments and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The problem with calling it solarisation is that there is another, quite different phenomenon that has had that name longer .

And that the Sabbatier effect is actually the correct name, even if it isn't the colloquial name.

But I still would really like to see Bob's prints, even if he has to call it the Carnie effect!

PS: Here is what wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarisation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Bruce what the hell is smaltzz
    Schmaltz is term for "fat" in Yiddish. You can apply it to anything though. So if you say something has too much schmaltz, or is schmaltzy, it basically means blubbery, or wordy, or melodramatic, overdone, too much information, or plain full of baloney.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I know many people who would call me Bob schmaltzy Carnie then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin