Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,836   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Alarm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Sounds to me like a great way to facilitate more theft, with a nice sanctioned out for the perps. How hard are they really going to look? How much is put in for the "royalty"? How nice of a government to set my price, after the theft.
    My thoughts exactly. Well stated.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My experience of the news/magazine industry is that unless a byeline appears with a picture, little or no effort will be made to trace the author. for instance, scanning pictures from travel brochures to illustrate holiday features is common practice. That picture is somebody's copyright, yet the chances of the author seeing his/her picture used is unlikely, let alone being able to prove it is his/hers. The editor of the offending publication can sit back and say they will pay upon receipt of invoice, knowing the chances of that invoice coming are pretty remote.....no photographer can afford the time to check every newspaper every day to see if a picture of their's has been used.

It's a far cry from days when the 10x8ins print (or tranny)with a clear copyright stamp was the only source of the published image, leaving no doubt in an editor's mind that use of this picture required payment.

It is now apparent that new technology, initially welcomed by professionals for its convenience, has turned round to bite them. New photographers, often frantic to see their work published, become the easy victims of unscrupulous editors under pressure from ever decreasing picture budgets.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Copyright Alarm

Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    What about metadata embedded in the digital file that contains the author's name and contact info?

What about steganographic (invisible) watermarking? (e.g. "Digimarc.")

What about making it illegal to strip metadata and to obscure or remove watermarks?

I kinda' understand the idea behind this legislation; to streamline the fair use rules and cut red tape; but I think that the "due dilligence" rule should apply to visible AND invisible watermarking. Since most methods of digital watermarking are known, any reasonable person could be expected to look for them.

Although one could assume that, if somebody removes a watermark, they intend to steal an image it is possble for one person to remove a watermark and post an image which is then used by a second person who doesn't find one, even though they looked for it. This would put the burden guilt back on the first person and serve to protect a well-intentioned subsequent person from unintended consequences.
    How do you make an invisible watermark?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Copyright Alarm

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    This is one of the reasons that I will rarely post my photographs on the web. I have even had my work ripped off on APUG.
    Really? How did you know it was from here and how is it useful in such a small size format?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    and how is it useful in such a small size format?
    That's a good point. If all you ever post are pictures 850 pixels on the long side, they can't be used for much other than web use at the same size or smaller.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't worry too much about my small sized images being stolen. If one was, (none have been, to my knowledge) I would hope it was by someone with deep enough pockets to sue into oblivion, and that there were no easy out for them, such as " we looked, we really did, and now he can have the five bucks we paid into the slush fund, instead of that unreasonable rate he really charges".

Seriously, arent there enough dime a dozen Internet stock snaps available? Do we really need legally sanctioned " i dunno's" on top of it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like a thieves' charter to me. You can bet there's some wealthy Tory party donor(s) who will benefit greatly from this. Bloody politicians. :-(
    testing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That's a good point. If all you ever post are pictures 850 pixels on the long side, they can't be used for much other than web use at the same size or smaller.
    Steve.

But Steve, all newspapers have their own websites!...they no longer need large reproduction pin-sharp material, the mobile phone stuff is acceptable nowdays.

Facebook is also a regular hunting ground for digging out pictures of people who suddenly find themselves in the news. All these pictures are someone's copyright.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Copyright Alarm

Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    But Steve, all newspapers have their own websites!...they no longer need large reproduction pin-sharp material, the mobile phone stuff is acceptable nowdays.

Facebook is also a regular hunting ground for digging out pictures of people who suddenly find themselves in the news. All these pictures are someone's copyright.
    When did newsprint ever need "pin sharp" images?

~Stone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=StoneNYC;1437914]When did newsprint ever need "pin sharp" images?
    ~Stone

Back in the days of black & white, when we covered news stories the final print size was 15"x12", and editors demanded top rate picture quality, instead of concerning themselves with lowlife showbiz "celebrities" as is the case today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin