Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,924   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wanted: source for Alpharag Artcare mat board

I'd like to continue using Pure White 4-ply Alpharag Artcare boards but my previous source Conservation Resources doubled their prices (was $7/sheet including shipping) and their packaging was so bad it took 3 shipments to get corners what weren't dog-eared but the boards were free from defects.

Americanframe.com (where I usually get my frames) wants $22/sheet and doesn't offer quantity discounts.

I tried FDI but after two shipments (2nd being as bad as the first) that I just returned, they aren't willing to inspect their boards to pass my standards of quality (free from defects) and will not sell me another shipment.

I live in west michigan and there aren't any local sources.
    I don't want to spend more than $13/sheet plus shipping.
    Last edited by wildbill; 01-01-2013 at 11:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I get my mats and frames mostly from frame destination. I buy pre-cut and with frames so do not know their mat prices alone. Might check their site.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I know Michael A. Smith sells it through his site, but I get it locally here in Lexington, KY from Lexington Framing Supply.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    rich, FDI and the company you mentioned may just be one and the same. I'm not happy. I'll leave it at that.
    Greg, LFS doesn't seem to ship/sell mat board thru their site.
    Michael Smith does but the prices are higher than I like and I'm assuming their shipping will be pretty high since they're a small outfit.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't mention what quantities you are buying -- in my limited experience one of the problems with phone/online ordering matboard is that it is very dense and heavy and small quantities are apparently too difficult or expensive for some suppliers to package well. I have seen a few sources that won't sell less than 10 or even 25 sheets of full size board. I've been using Crescent museum board from Blick's (which I examine and hand carry from a brick and mortar store) but it's more like $15 for a 32 x 40 sheet (and has been rising steadily in price the last few years).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    rich, FDI and the company you mentioned may just be one and the same. I'm not happy. I'll leave it at that.
    Ah, got it. Sorry to hear it. My two shipments of a multiple of quite large frames, cut mats and glazing have been fine.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Ah, got it. Sorry to hear it. My two shipments of a multiple of quite large frames, cut mats and glazing have been fine.
    Like Rich, I have had good results from FDI, but normally haven't bought mats, only frame and glazing. The one time I did buy mats they were fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I made my order a few years ago it was a case of 25 sheets for $250 shipped. Now that's the price for 10 sheets.
    My recent order was for 8 sheets @ $13 something/sheet plus shipping. They did a great job packing it, just didn't have the lights on while picking the product. The response I got was something like this "we have to cut around these defects every day when cutting mats for customers, we'll make a note on our website so customers know that defects should be expected." It's nice that you guys have had great experiences with them. Between the mat board dirt/defects and scratches on my plexi, I did NOT. Lets not mention them in future responses to my thread PLEASE!
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Lodima Archival Materials has still been cranking out orders on a word of mouth basis while we are finishing construction on an addition to our matboard building house our new Seabold paper shear, which should be done by early march. When that is complete we will renew our APUG sponsorship and with our revamped website will be able to accept online orders.

Unfortunately matboard and shipping costs are not what they used to be, and everyone's prices have risen accordingly. There is not much profit in full sheets or matboard, and when taking cost and additional time for packing into consideration we hardly break even on it.
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

"Art is just a Series of Natural Gestures."-- John Marin

My Platinum Printing Blog

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FramingSupplies.com has been my source for years. I send them a spread sheet with my sizes and they cut and ship. Great prices never had a single problem. Good people.

I also have an account with a frame and matting distributor, the same people who supply for the local frame shops. They even deliver with a $35 minimum order. Cant beat it.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin