Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,801   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To me it depends on population density of the wall - will this be a unique piece on that wall, or will it be one of many? When hanging shows where I have limited linear wallspace, I'll double up and hang two rows of images. I try to keep at least 3-4" between frames horizontally as well as vertically so that pieces meant to be read individually can be, but that's not a hard and fast rule. It also depends on if the images are horizontal, vertical, or a mix of the two.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When displaying photos at the local arts & crafts show, I cram framed prints onto panels that span 3 to 7 feet high. At home they hang high enough to clear bookcases and clutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no standard, but the "best" results are eyelevel based on the family or most people that would be looking at it. If your family has members between 4'8" and 5'6", the photographs in the home would be lower than for a family ranging from 5'9" to 6'6". Neither would be wrong, it is what would be best for each household.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I was invited in to a house where the family was of short stature, averaging about five feet. I noticed all the pictures appeared to be hung quite low by my standards. I found this amusing. I also had the good sense to keep it to myself.
    There is no standard, but the "best" results are eyelevel based on the family or most people that would be looking at it. If your family has members between 4'8" and 5'6", the photographs in the home would be lower than for a family ranging from 5'9" to 6'6". Neither would be wrong, it is what would be best for each household.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I frequent the Drawings, Prints and photographs wing at Metropolitan Museum of Art, here in NYC. There is a long passage where the work is hung mostly in a horizontal line. I've noticed they are just slightly above my eye level. I'm short, about 5'6". So maybe if I were about 5'8" - 5'9" they'd be eye level. But anything goes, and let's face it, wives always right, even when they're dead wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my curatorial duties at different galleries, for a general rule of thumb I hang art work with the center line at 57". This can vary due to ceiling height, size of artwork, the works relation to other work near by, etc. There are too many variables and too little info to really recommend at which level.
    If this is your own home, I would suggest at eye level.
    YMMV
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is alot easier for a tall person to bend down than a short person to stretch up. So I'd suggest going for eye level of a shorter person for gallery hanging.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    At my university, we tend to hang them so the center of the image is 60 inches from the floor.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From a practical point of view the photographs should be centered at eye-level of the intended visitor.

But... there are other aspects:

you can arrange them to form relations between several of them, or to relate them to the room.
    http://www.lenarot.de/images/2010/02.jpg

you can place them a way that the visitor is forced to take a certain position
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KNvwAfuC47...a+de+Bank1.jpg

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes, I have a friend that hangs his similar to the first link because they are spaced according to their relationship on a map as to where they had been shot.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin