Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,592   Online: 930

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

At what height to hang a frame on the wall.

I have a frame size of 28x35cm for 20x25cm prints and I personally felt when eye level meets 1/3 of frame from top, is optimum enough but wife disagree...

May I know at what height you guys mount the print...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Standards for this are hard to come by and it is ultimately up to the hanger. In hanging shows for the school gallery where I was director for over 20 years, we would place the center of the image (not the frame) 63 inches from the floor. Some felt that this was too low, others felt it to be too high. "Eye level" is not a constant. If you are 6' 4" tall, you are going to hang the picture much higher with that criteria than if you are a 5' 6". Commercial displays of art (galleries, shops) have to compromise. 63 inches was our compromise. If you hang at home, hang it where you're comfortable and ignore convention.

Shooter
    35mm
    My preference is centered at my eye level, but I just hung two prints higher, so they would be clear of a lamp on a table in front of them.

I positioned them to the liking of my wife, to whom I defer in matters of home decoration.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One thing to consider is how far from the wall will the prints be viewed from and who will be viewing them. Place them so they will accommodate the most viewers. The other thing to consider is how strong is your wife's disagreement. I find that the 63 or 64 inches from the floor to the middle of the image as mentioned above is a comfortable height.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Minimum and maximum distance will be 2 and 4 feet.
    Last edited by baachitraka; 01-16-2013 at 08:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The way I do it in my house is to put my arm straight out in front of me and touch the wall with the tip of my finger. That's where the center will be.

I'm 6 ft. tall. If I put it at my eye level, everybody hates it. Putting it at my shoulder height seems to be comfortable for most people.

The only time I put things higher is when it is a large room where people are likely to view from a distance. Then I put things head high.
    If I have a group of pictures, I place the center of the group at my shoulder height.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once showed photos at an exhibition, hung them on the wall which felt right more me. The Artist (painter) running the show told me to hang them lower, much lower, about chest high. Saying what if children or small people come. They want to see the photos too. Afterwards everybody complained about how low the pictures hung, their backs hurting. Maybe chin high?!?

Shooter
    35mm
    I was invited in to a house where the family was of short stature, averaging about five feet. I noticed all the pictures appeared to be hung quite low by my standards. I found this amusing. I also had the good sense to keep it to myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consider lighting in combination with height:

I saw what should have been a lovely exhibition of someone's print collection (including wonderful ones by Bert Hardy and Karsh of Ottawa) ... but the guy who hung the exhibition was 6'6", and while I could have seen the prints OK even from my meagre 5'8", the reflections off the glass meant I couldn't see a thing.

I spoke to him and he hadn't considered either his height or the lighting ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hang two or more frames next to each other, I could not imagine the optimum spacing between them too...
    Last edited by baachitraka; 01-16-2013 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin