Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1039

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I scanned 4 slides on my Imacon today and charged $5 each. Kodachrome has nice colors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I charge $10 per roll just to soup film in D-76, and $7.50 for cutting and sleeving in a print-file page and contact printing an 8x10 on RC. I do not scan, don't own a scanner(or even want to own one). I have a regular list of clients who use my services, most have their own scanners, though I ocassionally print for them as well. Prices for finished prints is variable depending on size of print plus amount of work involved to obtain it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't forget to price in the extravagant cost of "environmental" compliance, which will apply to you once you act as a business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i enlarge any of your negs to 11x14 or 12x16the best of my ability for $100plus shipping. cant do it for less or i go hungry.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    is that price for a RC print? How about square prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    You can always go buy all the cool stuff you want, start your business, and when it fails write it all off on Schedule C of your 1040. It makes a nice discount equal to your highest marginal tax rate and you get to keep the stuff.
    En-n-n-nh, anyone considering this might want to study the fine print. I am not a tax wizard, I don't even pretend to be, but I did make some side money as a sole proprietorship decades ago. I seem to recall there are some guidelines to differentiate between a business and a hobby and it involves showing some profit at least occasionally to be considered a business, just to prevent folks doing as you describe. Of course, as a practical matter, you might get away with it, not because it's legal but because they don't have time and manpower to pursue nickel and dime stuff.

Just my 1.53 after tax cents

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a throwaway line here but in this week's Amateur Photographer magazine in the U.K. a company is advertising processing of a 36 frame trad B&W 135 film for £2.29(about $3.36) and as it's a business is presumably making a profit at this price. This is the lowest price I have yet seen

How this is possible is beyond me and just seeing your thread had stimulated my curiosity about the service. I might do some checking

It just goes to show what you are up against - well in the U.K. at least. Consumers it seems are always tempted by the lowest offer even when the dictum "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" should be the watchword.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    En-n-n-nh, anyone considering this might want to study the fine print. I am not a tax wizard, I don't even pretend to be, but I did make some side money as a sole proprietorship decades ago. I seem to recall there are some guidelines to differentiate between a business and a hobby and it involves showing some profit at least occasionally to be considered a business, just to prevent folks doing as you describe. Of course, as a practical matter, you might get away with it, not because it's legal but because they don't have time and manpower to pursue nickel and dime stuff.

Just my 1.53 after tax cents
    It is perfectly legitimate to lose money in a business, or to have expenses in failing to get one started. Just fill it all out on Schedule C and follow all the rules as laid out in the Sch. C instructions regarding "material participation" and you'll be fine. But you are correct that the IRS is not in the business of supporting hobbies and one must make sure to properly qualify as a business activity. I am not suggesting abuse of the rules or operating outside the law, merely exploitation of existing law.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    i enlarge any of your negs to 11x14 or 12x16the best of my ability for $100plus shipping. cant do it for less or i go hungry.
    Dear Ralph, is that for FB or RC print? How do you price square prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bump-
    any advice on 2013 prices-
    what to charge as per above post-

what to charge for clients whom you photograph in a session-

say $850? for session
    then 20 x24 fiber prints-[maybe 18x18 sq on 20 x24 paper]
    I do not want to undercut others who are already working in film and fiber-
    thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin