Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,701   Online: 1060

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cost of paper for the final print,
    Cost of paper for proofs/test prints,
    Cost of Developer, Stop, Fixer, toning,
    Cost to develop film,
    Cost of your time,
    Cost for the use of your Equipment (cameras, darkroom, lighting, etc),
    Cost of the studio/space/location...

This sound a bit high end. If it was me, I would have a frank and earnest discussion of what your price would be and what the "client" would receive in return. Putting it all in writing (a contract) would be a good idea.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edcculus View Post
    I've had a coworker and a few friends/aquantainces approach me about what I would charge to develop (B&W only) film and make some prints. I'd never really considered it so I said I'd have to look around and see what the going rate was. I've looked at Richard Photo Lab, and TheDarkroom.com to see what they charge.

The people asking would more than likely only be shooting 35mm. I'm iffy about offering scanning negs. Leaning towards not. Since this isn't a full blown business, here is what I'm thinking:

Processing
    $15/roll 135 film. Customer gets developed negatives and a contact sheet on RC paper. Negatives will be stored in a Print File negative page. If they really want scanning, I'll probably tack on $5 per roll.

Prints
    8X10 - $30 fibre, $15 RC per image. Duplicate prints $5 less.
    I'd offer other sizes as well, smaller and larger than 8X10. I'm just using that as a base point.

Does that sound fair? My idea is to cover the cost of chemistry and paper, then have a little left. I wouldn't be doing a ton, but it woud be nice to do enough to completely offset the cost of my chemistry and paper in the darkroom.
    I don't know about scanning, but I was getting $12 per RC 8x10 black&white in the 80s and early 90s. The worst thing you can do is underprice yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mopar Guy,

Yes - this is high end- million dollar beach homes, yatchs, etc-

I was thinking 8 to 10 rolls of 120 in RB67-
    5,6,7 hour session
    whatever it takes-

then make the prints-one at a time - in wet lab- by hand-

Handcrafted by the artist-

marketed as boutique

I didn't want to undercut any other artists working in this style- which is why I am asking for pricing advice of the prints-

I had also been considering a mini-session: maybe 3 rolls of 120 and a one hour session-maybe up to two hours ?
    This would be ideal for toddlers on the beach - or perhaps as an intro to silver gel fiber prints and a film based workflow.

No scans, no computer, no photoshop- Just traditional wet lab methods and alternative photography.

Granted - it is not for everyone; I guess I am looking for those clients who might like something a bit different, quirky,fun.

I am also working on a film based doc idea, and large fiber prints of surf and beach culture.
    This would be a self funded documentary, and of course prints probably made on spec-
    so I would love to hear imput and advice from those already selling this way- so as not to undercut fellow artists in the Outer Banks region.

My overhead costs are low, and my raw material CODB is similar to others purchasing film, chem, and paper-
    so I guess it all goes back to marketing and the lifestyle we chose to live.

We can sell our art cheap and be the starving artist or we can price our art at rates that will afford us a decent living.

The choice is ours, hobby, business, follow your heart, follow your passion.

For me- I just love shooting film in vintage cameras from the 50's and 60's, and I hope I can find clients who think it is cool too !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin