Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,372   Online: 1006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Below is the statement from my last local show. It was a two person show with a good friend and the title (which was the title of the show) comes from some words on a wall of one of his photographs. The statement appeared below the image shown here...matted and framed. Just thought I would share something that might not be one's average artist statement...again, written as myself as the primary audience, just like I take my photographs as myself as the primary audience:

Area of Temporary Refuge

A place to return, a place to set forth
    A place to renew, a place to gather strength
    A place to center

It is this place that allows measurement of extremes

From this ground I look up and know heights
    From this place of simplicity I come to grips with complexities
    From this center I explore the world of shadow and light

A refuge from which to embark on a simple quest
    A quest to understand the qualities and forms of light
    A journey to explore the limits of my understanding and my ability to see

Vaughn Hutchins
    Eureka, 2011

The print:

My boys at the North Jetty, Humboldt Bay -- they are on an old boiler of a wreaked ship.
    Two Diana camera negatives (Tech Pan), carbon print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3BoysNorthJetty.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 02-20-2013 at 10:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    And write in the first person.
    If a artist statement is not already weird it becomes so by writing in third person.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    If a artist statement is not already weird it becomes so by writing in third person.
    That is so true.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beautifully written Vaughn.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Vaughn's got a good one!

I'd enjoy statements like that at a show, I'd enjoy any statement that gives me an idea of what the show is about or who the artist is, or just gives food for thought that is compatible or enhances the show.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks. It was a lot of work, and one's statement should take as much consideration as one's prints. If I were to rewrite it, these two years later, I would just change one word...but maybe not. In the third to the last line, I might leave out the word "simple" -- tho it is tempting to replace it with "quixotic", LOL!

After all, if one is to go tilting at windmills, then one might as well be using a big camera!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try not to use the words line and form.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like yours, Vaughn!
    I started mine last night - it's not as poetic, but it does avoid the use of line and form. It isn't shallow and pedantic either (house joke). Thanks for the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be the contrarian, at least with respect to the resume, given that it appears you don't have "typical" artist training. I love reading how people come to their photography from other fields, especially when those fields seem opposite to right brain thinking. Maybe it just makes me think I could do it too. Most of all, I like hearing how other incorporate their social/technical/whatever background into their photography (although that veers into the artist statement).

I'd keep it short and sweet and not use the usual resume format. Just a paragraph that describes your background (including education) and how you got to the point of hanging your prints on that gallery's wall.

So, for example, if those classes with known photographers encourage you to pursue photography aggressively they should be highlighted. If not, they might be just mentioned.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Bethe

An artist statement, bio and current photo is very important for artists wanting to exhibit their work, You will be asked each time to provide this info no matter what gallery you choose or chooses you.

I found it very difficult to talk about my work , so I basically wrote out a very rough idea of what my work is about, plus I made a portfolio of prints and gave both to a competent writer, who then interviewed me and my wife and prepared the two documents, which are much better than anything I could imagine writing.
    I feel competent making images and print, but defer to an expert to write about my work.

I have found that every gallery I approach wants to see three things, Bio, Artist Statement, and web selection with descriptions and basic pricing of work.
    They will not consider accepting printed portfolios until they have seen these basic things. I was pissed with this as I feel the web images do not represent the final quality that the
    portfolio prints represent , but I have learned to get over that.
    Most gallery's have strict rules on submitting work therefore having a good (artist package) prepared in advance is important.

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin