Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,221   Online: 843

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    It isn't shallow and pedantic either (house joke). Thanks for the help!
    I agree, shallow and pedantic.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Try not to use the words line and form.

Steve.
    Aw, nuts! There goes half my statement.

This is a good thread so far, with nobody yet saying to tell the gallery to shove it. Statements and Bios are a necessary evil. If you can get by without them, then good for you, but for most of us mortals, we need the papers to get past the door. I have actually been invited to submit a show to a gallery in a nearby town - they approached me, but the first thing they wanted to see was an artists's statement. Fortunately the gallery manager was quite helpful in suggesting their own preferences as regards that kind of thing.

Just a couple of notes as regards first/third-person.

A "statement" tends to work best in first-person, though I have seen some interesting examples in third-person. You are making your statement so say it in your voice.

A bio works better in third-person. Write it as though the gallery itself was writing it about you.

A resume does not necessarily require a voice at all, and can be a bulleted (and dated) list of accomplishments, publications, shows, etc.

Be prepared, however to re-address any of the above at the whim of the gallery. If they want you to name your favourite colour, throw it in there...

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bob gave you some good advice. Galleries are interested in an artist's vision and most won't even look at your work without an artist's statement.

A statement doesn't need to be much longer that a few short paragraphs. Google some of your favorite artists if you need some inspiration.

This article sums up pretty well what an artist statement should be :

http://www.artbusiness.com/artstate.html

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Bethe

An artist statement, bio and current photo is very important for artists wanting to exhibit their work, You will be asked each time to provide this info no matter what gallery you choose or chooses you.

I found it very difficult to talk about my work , so I basically wrote out a very rough idea of what my work is about, plus I made a portfolio of prints and gave both to a competent writer, who then interviewed me and my wife and prepared the two documents, which are much better than anything I could imagine writing.
    I feel competent making images and print, but defer to an expert to write about my work.

I have found that every gallery I approach wants to see three things, Bio, Artist Statement, and web selection with descriptions and basic pricing of work.
    They will not consider accepting printed portfolios until they have seen these basic things. I was pissed with this as I feel the web images do not represent the final quality that the
    portfolio prints represent , but I have learned to get over that.
    Most gallery's have strict rules on submitting work therefore having a good (artist package) prepared in advance is important.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be prepared, however to re-address any of the above at the whim of the gallery. If they want you to name your favourite colour, throw it in there...
    Well, of course, it's black and/or white.

Thanks all! This is for a juried show that I got a couple of images into. Of course, they're mordançage ones and not the landscapes I've done more and which are easier to write about. But I can tie in my chemistry stuff with them fairly well, too, so I think I have something almost ready to send them.
    Thanks all! Nice thread that I hope helps others with this, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul, that's a great link (post #25) - thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin