Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,524   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Artist Resume (and artist statements)

I've recently been asked to submit either an artist resume or statement for a show. I've seen some pretty, um, interesting artist statements and I think I might be able to write something that doesn't sound too inane, hokey, or whatever (though I doubt anyone really wants to read them). But how do you write a resume? I found this - http://www.collegeart.org/guidelines/resume - but it assumes you've gone to school for art. If you have a degree in something else, should you still put it on it? What about classes you took at museum schools (fairly small ones) with maybe 5 different instructors over the years and you can't remember all of them? If you took photo I and II back in undergrad (cough, 25 years ago cough cough) and it was with a "known" photographer, should you put that even as long ago as it was?
    My forensics-related resume basically only has been used to give lawyers an idea of my experience before I testified and it was pretty easy to write. It has the facts, just the facts. Every class the MSP sent me to and what my job duties were. Format has changed over the years, but that's about it.
    So how different is an artist resume?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    (though I doubt anyone really wants to read them)
    Let me just tell you that these artists statements are still uncommon over here. You seem selfassured enough to skip something you quite not see what to begin with and what use you doubt.
    Last edited by AgX; 02-20-2013 at 07:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bethe- If you've already been invited to show, don't bother with the resume. Just write up a nice statement instead. If you've shown before, add a"Selected Exhibitions" list at the bottom of your statement.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you look at any artist resume, they will only ever include these sections: education (in art), groups shows, solo shows, galleries who have collected their work, and published work. This seems to be the 'standard'.

Just a couple of examples from minor photographic artists:

http://www.sallygall.com/html/SALLY%...UME%202010.pdf
    http://www.paul-kenny.co.uk/info.html

If this is one of your first shows, you obviously don't need one.

For your statement, try this - http://www.artybollocks.com/
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My two cents...just write a 'statement'. Put everything you can think of in it -- your situation, experiences, why you do what you do, what you like people to get from your work...everything. Don't worry about length nor grammar, etc.

Then start eliminating stuff...distill it down to what you want to say and to what people will actually take the time to read (perhaps 2 or 3 paragraphs of 2 to 4 sentences each).

I spend a lot of time on mine...some approach poetry. But no one has every commented to me about any of my statements. I write them for me, now. It is a good exercise.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you like, we could write one for you...

Bethe explores the world as if she is looking through the eyes of a hundred years' worth of photographers, taking the best of their traditions and adapting them to classic and personal images...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    If you like, we could write one for you...

Bethe explores the world as if she is looking through the eyes of a hundred years' worth of photographers, taking the best of their traditions and adapting them to classic and personal images...
    LOL - thanks!
    I think I will write a statement - though I'm not sure what relation, if any, it will have to the pieces that got accepted into this show. At least this show gives me something to put on a resume if I ever need one.
    Vaughn - I'll likely do it that way - thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bethe, I think you got some good advice: go with the statement, since you have a choice. Just write some from-the-heart thoughts about why you made the photographs that you did. And write in the first person.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make an Artist Statement wordy, philosophically complex and arty - in other words, more or less incomprehensible nonsense but impressive looking. You might sell more stuff that way. Marketing is everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin