Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,712   Online: 921

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Very impressive! Works just fine on my Mac. I showed it to my wife and she was impressed enough to post it to her Facebook page. Good work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Adobe spent a lot of time developing and marketing Flash. Like many companies, they give away the browser plugin and the viewer for free in order to drive website developers into buying their authoring software. Flash is a cash cow for them. Dumping or totally revamping Flash would turn all their work and expense into a sunk cost. Then they run into the problem of incompatibility between newer and legacy products. Making significant changes means that websites which already use Flash would stop working unless they update to the newer version. All the people who have Flash plugins installed on their computers would have to update in order to see the new content, plus they risk losing the ability to see websites created with the older version. Adobe really has gotten themselves over a barrel on this one. Their only option is to use marketing spin to keep pushing the product, no matter how broken it is, at least until they can get a new product to market which will replace it.

BTW: I like the pictures. Especially the one in front of the giant clock face in the Musee d'Orsay.
    Sorry I got wrapped up in a minor detail. Me too... rant over.
    I understand that, however the whole generation below me (30's and younger) all use smartphones, and many older than me do as well, and NONE of them can see my website, I'm always telling people to check it out, and they go and say "sorry, I couldn't see anything" no one is going home and using their home computers to check it out anymore, they want to see it instantly, so flash just gets in the way. It's HURTING businesses not helping them, despite its capabilities it's not a viable business plan for anyone who wants sustainable clients in the new smart-phone driven environment. Heck I know a lot of people who don't own a laptop or home computer anymore and ONLY use an ipad or other tablet, none of which can read flash, so they just don't bother and move on. And Adobe needs to realize this, if they wanted to have made flash work, they should have made it work... as in they should have corrected how terribly written and how much CPU power is required and changed the code to make it smoother and work for todays market, but they didn't, and now we're paying for it.

I'm told there are HTML5 add ons to Lightroom 4 that will produce HTML5 image galleries, but there are so many and they cost money I don't know which to buy into, any suggestions for me AND the OP since they also mentioned the same issue with using Lighroom 4... would be helpful, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for your constructive and nice comments! You have convinced me to embrace html5 as soon as possible. I will explore the different free HTML5 frameworks at my coffee break.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can tell you I can view it on my android phone!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    I can tell you I can view it on my android phone!
    You must have a very old Android phone... the new ones (or the old ones updated with the new Android OS) don't support flash whatsoever...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Dehk!

I have just discovered that some flash compatible browsers exist for Ipad and new android tablets (e.g. http://www.puffinbrowser.com)...
    Anyway I'm exploring the HTML5 options right now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok guys! I took into account ALL your critics and I have finally redone all the website in HTML5/CSS3/javascript!

Frankly I thought it would be quite a mission as I have no experience at all in those languages, but thankfully there is heaps of information on internet.
    The website might not be programmed in the right way but at least it does exist!

I had some issues with the fonts. I think I have solved the problem, and the website looks now fine with FF, opera, chrome and IE on my PC.

Could some Mac, Linux, Ipad users confirm the website works fine on their computer/device?
    More general feedback are also welcome!

Here is the address www.stompetrel.com

Cheers, Dominique

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Comes up fine on my desktop and my iPad. Pictures look good.

The only technical crit I have is that it doesn't scale and recenter when you turn your iPad from portrait to landscape.
    I work on a website that does a similar thing. Turns out that there is one line of text, all the way at the bottom of the page that runs longer than the rest so the browser centers the page using that line, making the rest of the page go off center. I'm not certain that your site is doing the exact same thing but it's probably something minor like that.

Otherwise, everything else looks good!

Just don't let my wife see that picture of the Teddy Bear hung out to dry by his ears! She'd have a fit!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    The only technical crit I have is that it doesn't scale and recenter when you turn your iPad from portrait to landscape.
    I work on a website that does a similar thing. Turns out that there is one line of text, all the way at the bottom of the page that runs longer than the rest so the browser centers the page using that line, making the rest of the page go off center. I'm not certain that your site is doing the exact same thing but it's probably something minor like that.

Thank you for your feedback. I will have a close look on the ipad scaling/centering problem. Not easy to correct without an ipad! I will have a look on internet to see if a Ipad web emulator does exist.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Website feedback needed

Working out these little bugs can be a PITA.

Other than that everything looks great.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin