Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,272   Online: 817

Shooter
    Multi Format

Second crop from same slide?

I recently sent two slides (E100G) to be printed. My photography group has a show coming up in a couple of months. These two slides of completely different subjects are supposed to go to that show.

I just got a call back from the guy at the lab telling me that one of the slides is unprintable. The film is damaged and is not repairable. The mark is in the center of the image. He can't crop around it.

No, the lab didn't damage it. I looked at a scan that I made before I sent the film out. The mark was already there.

I looked through my files to see if I had some backups or alternates. Nothing that I like well enough.

So, I'm left with only one image when I need two.

The guy from the lab sent me an e-mail the other day suggesting that he can make a second print of the good slide with a different crop.
    He says he can make one the way I originally specified and he can make a second one, cropped closer in a vertical orientation.

I kind of like the idea but I'm not sure. It's a good way to "make the save" but I kind of feel like it will look stupid.

Here's the "good" photo with the original composition:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randyst...57632534717529

Here's the gallery where the exhibition will be:
    http://www.campbellpotterystore.com/stonewall-gallery/

Do you think it will fly?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I recently sent two slides (E100G) to be printed. My photography group has a show coming up in a couple of months. These two slides of completely different subjects are supposed to go to that show.

I just got a call back from the guy at the lab telling me that one of the slides is unprintable. The film is damaged and is not repairable. The mark is in the center of the image. He can't crop around it.

No, the lab didn't damage it. I looked at a scan that I made before I sent the film out. The mark was already there.

I looked through my files to see if I had some backups or alternates. Nothing that I like well enough.

So, I'm left with only one image when I need two.

The guy from the lab sent me an e-mail the other day suggesting that he can make a second print of the good slide with a different crop.
    He says he can make one the way I originally specified and he can make a second one, cropped closer in a vertical orientation.

I kind of like the idea but I'm not sure. It's a good way to "make the save" but I kind of feel like it will look stupid.

Here's the "good" photo with the original composition:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randyst...57632534717529

Here's the gallery where the exhibition will be:
    http://www.campbellpotterystore.com/stonewall-gallery/

Do you think it will fly?
    Consider hybridising this in order to deal with the damage/mark. Prints that have been produced from damaged masters (negs/trannies) are rarely attractive in an exhibition; they might even be rejected (I have known judges and selectors do this).

Yes.
    If it were my pic I'd crop severely, as there is a lot of bland and unserviceable space around the key subjects — the girls. The image will benefit from tighter cropping in either the square or vertical format, so it is just the girls, the contrast of the sun on the water and the clouds, and no more than that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails girls_66 crop.PNG   girls_cropped.PNG  
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Consider hybridising this in order to deal with the damage/mark.
    Already considering it. Problem is time and budget. Can't afford to have this done now. By the time I have the funds, it might be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    If it were my pic I'd crop severely, as there is a lot of bland and unserviceable space around the key subjects — the girls.
    That's what I needed to hear. I think I'll have him crop it the other way.

Do you think it would look lame to display both prints, side by side, or just display the best one? (Cropped your way.)
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    choose your best and display that one only.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Already considering it. Problem is time and budget. Can't afford to have this done now. By the time I have the funds, it might be too late.

That's what I needed to hear. I think I'll have him crop it the other way.

Do you think it would look lame to display both prints, side by side, or just display the best one? (Cropped your way.)

Choose one and only one. If push comes to shove, I'd easily select the square crop. But show your mettle in decisiveness and judgement — and the most important time to do that is selecting one for the exhibition. Realistically, we can't do this for you and everybody has to start the vetting and selection process somewhere, even if there is a casualty and a niggling frame of mind. Go for it!

—Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I ran through some of your other pictures and if you need two how about the color image of the lighthouse?

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format

Second crop from same slide?

You like that one?

I thought about it but didn't choose that one.
    I passed it up because it didn't come out the way I pictured in my mind when I took it. I think I'll give it a second look.

Interestingly, that one is on 4x5.
    I bought the camera from a guy who is also a member of the photographer's society after he went digital. It might be fun to hang that one on the wall and say, "Hey, that's from that "old camera" you sold me."

Solstice Sunrise by Randy Stankey, on Flickr

Actually taken on the morning of the solstice last summer.
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Randy, I'm having a ball taking a scalpel to your pics!

This lighthouse pic, shot on 4x5 (meaning it is a sure-fire bet it will provide viewing satisfaction) is a winner in the composition and placement; the lighthouse ends close to the centre, but not diddly-squat dead centre, and is complimented by the sun (which is not a blurry oval, but a round spot — another kudo!), the the icing being the beautiful muted pastels of the afterglow; you've got everything there and just a little bit of refinement and it could well take a prize, or at lease have a lot of people making very positive commentary!

The crop I have suggested is arbitrary, just tightening up the composition so you are letting the scene elements speak for themselves without a welter of waves and featureless water to distract. You could vary the crop by including more or less of the walkway to the lighthouse; either way it still leads the viewer into the image to finish at the lighthouse. I do enjoy this pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lighthouse_crop.PNG  
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 03-24-2013 at 11:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

—Anon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin