Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,154   Online: 820

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help, totally new to mounting...

Dear all,
    so far I have not found the need to properly mount anything I've done to date. What I tend to do is to print (on RC paper) a 7x5" image on a 10"x8" paper which leaves a 1.5" border all around then either frame this with no over-mat or put it in an album with sticky corners (don't know if that is the proper term for them!). However, I'm thinking of putting in a set of ten prints for the Licentiateship of the Royal Photographic Society (LRPS), something I've wanted to try for for years. The recommended format (though not compulsory) is a 10"x8" or A4 print onto a 20"x16" mount. The mount size for this image seems a little over the top for me, but hey, that's what it says. Now, I don't have a borderless easel, so I'd be looking to print onto 10"x8" with a 1/4" border all around (the smallest I can do), but then what? Would I trim the print and just mount it onto 20"x16" mount board? Would I not trim and put on an over-mat, or is that too flashy for a mount of that size? The print would then also have unequal borders at the top and sides. I have no idea really what to try for, so any suggestions of what looks good for a 10"x8" print is welcome!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you go to an art store you will find they sell tape for hinging. Since you print on rc and it will have a mat over it there isn't much concern with needing to dry mount the print to the backing. Just put a couple pieces of the hinging tape on the top of the print so it is covered by the mat.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My advice would be to try and contact someone from a local camera club who holds a distinction with the RPS. You could show them your work and method of presentation and ask for their advice. To be honest I think a panel of 8x10 RC prints mounted for the first time would have the odds stacked against it, unless the work is extraordinary original. I believe that the RPS run workshops on preparing panels and perhaps this might be another option for you to try. Good luck with your panel in any case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With RC paper in sheets, the paper lies very flat.

So if you would like a borderless print, just place your paper on the baseboard in a particular spot, and allow the enlarged image to spill out just past the edge of the paper. Using a smallish aperture is a good idea as well (for the depth of focus).

You can use cardboard "L"s and tape, or a larger easel with the blades adjusted to something like 10.12" x 8.12" to create the "nest" for the paper to sit in.

You may have to trim the result slightly, given RC paper's tendency to wear at the corners.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Brady (TEX) View Post
    My advice would be to try and contact someone from a local camera club who holds a distinction with the RPS. You could show them your work and method of presentation and ask for their advice. To be honest I think a panel of 8x10 RC prints mounted for the first time would have the odds stacked against it, unless the work is extraordinary original. I believe that the RPS run workshops on preparing panels and perhaps this might be another option for you to try. Good luck with your panel in any case.
    What part of Yorkshire do you live in? I am in Nth Yorks and could possibly help as I used to give talks on print mounting to various clubs. Send me a Private Message if interested.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin