Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,048   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

mat board stuck to emulsion

My print was slightly damp in a couple places when I put between my regular two pieces of mat board, in the dry-mount press. I've done this before and it usually just turns to steam, but this time the print stuck to the mat board. It came off easily enough but left black (the mat board is black) smudges at three contact points on my print.

Am I SOL?

Anybody know of something that will clean the print?

Not the end of the world but I kind of liked the way the print turned out...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you didn't use mounting tissue you might consider soaking it in water for a while and gently wipe with cotton while it is under water. I've never run into this nor have I done what you do. A friend gave me some prints of his grandfather that were stuck to glass from a frame. I first scanned them because no negative was available and then soaked with some photoflo in water. They finally separated. I rewashed them and let them air dry as I do with all my prints. Since it sounds like you can reprint, you have the luxury of messing up.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had something similar happen to me. Soaking may/will help but very likely, texture of the mat board has transferred to the surface and that will never come out. Was the original surface of the print glossy? If so, the texture will be very visible - unfortunately....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    My print was slightly damp in a couple places when I put between my regular two pieces of mat board, in the dry-mount press. I've done this before and it usually just turns to steam, but this time the print stuck to the mat board. It came off easily enough but left black (the mat board is black) smudges at three contact points on my print.

Am I SOL?

Anybody know of something that will clean the print?

Not the end of the world but I kind of liked the way the print turned out...
    Putting wet prints against mat board, or any other absorbent paper other than photo blotter, is a big mistake as you have learned. Always use release paper with dry mount press.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Putting wet prints against mat board, or any other absorbent paper other than photo blotter, is a big mistake as you have learned. Always use release paper with dry mount press.
    Jim, can you or someone else send me a link to where I can buy "release paper"?

I haven't seen any on a dry mount press since I used the one in college.

Is it this: http://www.adorama.com/DKBB1114.html ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Jim, can you or someone else send me a link to where I can buy "release paper"?

I haven't seen any on a dry mount press since I used the one in college.

Is it this: http://www.adorama.com/DKBB1114.html ?
    If you are stuck (pun intended), parchment paper from the kitchen store will also help.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consider it a lesson learned in technique. I had the same thing happen to me early in my career, when rushed into flattening a less than adequately dried print. The good news is, you only need to learn the lesson once. (Release papers are totally unnecessary for proper dry mounting or flattening.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For smaller prints a cheap release paper substitite is the remains of label pages. The silicon like coating on the paper that labels are adhered to works quite fine for me for dry mounting prints to 8x10.

That lets me save the few larger sizes of proper release paper for the big prints.

I know proper release paper is available by the roll, but when pricing it a few years ago, it struck me as quite expensive for the smallest roll given the small amount I actually need.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A sign shop would probably have acres of the stuff for the asking. Once the vinyl letters or graphics are cut and removed the silicone release paper is garbage. the same goes for a shop that cold mounts and/or laminates posters, photos etc. When I was in business; I threw out at least a hundred yards a month of 50" release paper.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin