Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,452   Online: 1161

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Difficulty with production due to the expectations of the digital world

Help!

I'm yet again fighting the "digital culture of expectation".

I shot some photos of my friends kids using my Hasselblad, Kodak Portra 400 and Fuji Acros 100 - though they are my friends, they are a paying client (though largely just paying for my costs with a little extra). The results are quite outstanding, even by my standards! Arguably some of the best portraiture I have done.

After the shoot, I sent the films to my lab, who have done a great job of developing the film and, to keep costs down, I asked the lab to conduct initially just their "standard scan" from negative to CD so that the client could see the proofs and choose their favourites for final proper production. This, the lab has done, and pleased with the results the client is. I have then reduced the pictures in size (to about 70Kb) and watermarked each picture too, to prevent anybody just trying to do a bodge job print effort themsevles. I have reitterated many times "these are low res scans....proper prints from negatives are essential and key to optimum final prints" etc etc

However, the client has now asked if she can have the electronic pictures without the watermark so she can create her own little album and produce two more for her extended family. Note she still intends to place an order of 3 or 4 enlargements for her wall which will be done by my lab, but still.

I am now in a tricky spot and need advice on resolving. If I give her the unwatermarked but still low res scans (each original file is about 300Kb) and she just takes them along to Wallmart or wherever, we all know how they'll look. Though they may satisfied with them, I know they'll look a fraction of how good they'd look if I had the prints done properly from the negatives using my lab. And my name, as a photographer, will be affected. because everybody who is shown these little albums witll think that is the work of Ted Smith. I don't want people thinking, when they see these sub-standard prints, that it is a reflection of my work and will reduce my capability in future of generating clients. But likewise, she doesn't want to have to pay an extra £70 or so to have some sets of 5"x5" prints produced, considering it has already cost £35 for the film and 85£ for the development and scanning costs.

What the hell do I do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 59290002.JPG   59470011.jpg  
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just explain to the client that once watermarked, you cannot delete it and only proper printing from the negatives is all you can do for her.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi ted

what has happened is typical of what happens when one does work for friends.
    why don't you SELL her the usage for the files much like a stock agency does.
    if it is actually for a brag-book, have her tell you how many there will be,
    and charge her a fee.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A customer that doesn't want to spend any money. I live in a town where everybody in it thinks if they've spent 20 bucks, they've spent a lot of money. People like that will be glad to let you bust your tail all day to make 5 dollars. Get rid of 'em. You've got better things to do. These people burn me up. That's my attitude about them.
    Learn to spot the pattern. People like that will never be satisfied no matter what you do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What Rick A said. Or just tell her "No".... any way you say it, it comes to no.... she's trying to scam you, Pal... I would not do it.... why are people we like, even, sometime so cheap?.... sorry...
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your lab can probably prepare three small albums, with good quality small prints for you from the low resolution scans at a reasonable cost. Sell them to your friend/client with a reasonable markup, on the condition that you will deliver them upon receipt of payment for them plus deposit monies for the enlargements.

That will give you the opportunity to ensure the album prints are properly done.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Just explain to the client that once watermarked, you cannot delete it and only proper printing from the negatives is all you can do for her.
    Tell her you have to recoup your costs.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi ted

and charge her a fee.
    A second solution. It is pretty much guaranteed that she cannot do better. If she does not think so, then you are out the money and you had a learning experience. Next time have have a contract before you pull out your camera.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tell her the truth. Say that you work really hard to maintain your image as a photographer and that the quality of the photos is very, very important to you. It's your personal brand. You want her to have the 'brag books' she wants, but still be able to present the best quality alongside your name, as you're sure she understands. Then work out a deal with your lab for the books, and make it clear that the choice is really hers, how much she values what she wants.

(But be prepared for someone she knows to use a clone tool to get rid of the watermarks.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi ted

and charge her a fee.
    I would go this route. Give all the reasons outlined by others about the quality being important. And license her the use of good scans of the selects - for a modest fee, you can explain covers the cost of the scans. Don't pay for and send her 100MB scans, but send the appropriate scan detail for the intended purpose. That way the brag books will look professional, but the quality still won't tempt them to make a mural to hang behind the couch. Tell them for a mural you would recommend a 100MB scan, and then go order that when the time comes.

I hope it all comes out to be a positive experience for you all around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin