Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,720   Posts: 1,483,130   Online: 1246

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Daguerreotype portrait service.

Daguerreotype photo is slow and unreproducible, but it has this unique effect which make we feel the presence of the person.
    I was searching and I didn't find in the internet anywhere who provide Daguerreotype portrait service. And I wonder why.
    Photographers became lazy or the public doesn't have interest on alternative blowing mind quality?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are very few. But there are. To my knowledge there is only one busy commercially in Europe.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But is there demand but most photographers doesn't know how to do, or don't want to have hard work?
    Or there is so few because there is no demand?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well you just gave an answer to that in another related thread:

You don't even have to be a good photographer to have a successful business as photographer. You just have to be good at business and marketing. Anything else will be just details.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Traditional Daguerreotype processing involves mercury vapor with safety and environmental problems. Years ago I met a Daguerrotypist who attributed his failing health to mercury poisoning. He died as a fairly young man, as did others when the Daguerreotype was popular. Quality Daguerreotypes are difficult to make. Some of the required materials aren't as available as when they were in demand. On the other hand, some people like the challenge of a difficult and dangerous process, or are masochists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dags are mostly a labor of love -- given how much work goes into one, I suspect that someone doing them commercially would have to charge quite a bit -- a full day for a commercial photographer can charge $1,000 a day, easily, to shoot weddings or other events using digital or film photography, and Dags might cost more because of the extensive preparation, the unique expertise, and the cost of materials.

That's a chunk of change for an image that can't be reproduced. Would you pay it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Last edited by cowanw; 06-03-2013 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Well you just gave an answer to that in another related thread:
    If there is nobody to market so it is not possible to market.
    Last edited by marciofs; 06-03-2013 at 11:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think most people wouldn't appreciate the difference between a daguerreotype and your standard collodion wet plate, making the former a bit excessive. Heck, I'd be thrilled just to have a wet plate done.

You don't need to be a great photographer to market photography, but you would need to be a skilled photographer and/or chemist to pull off daguerreotypes while still hoping to make a profit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by heterolysis View Post
    I think most people wouldn't appreciate the difference between a daguerreotype and your standard collodion wet plate, making the former a bit excessive. Heck, I'd be thrilled just to have a wet plate done.
    And how is the market on Wet Plate portrait?

Quote Originally Posted by heterolysis View Post
    You don't need to be a great photographer to market photography, but you would need to be a skilled photographer and/or chemist to pull off daguerreotypes while still hoping to make a profit.
    Yes I agree. But this quote is from an other thread and is completely contextualized because the other thread talk is about 35mm film negative to use as professional service. And what I said is that between 35mm film negative and digital to people it doesn't make difference. As far you delivery sharp images in a couple of days they will be happy.

I know because I used to shoot with digital and went completely to film negatives and it did't make any difference for those who I photographed. All they wanted is to look like magazine page photograph. And the quality of magazines photographs, even fashion magazines, is not as good as they used to be so it is easy to satisfy this public. Family portrait even easier: White back ground and plain light to everybody look shine. If you try do make something more creative and rich they complain.
    Last edited by marciofs; 06-03-2013 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin