Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,975   Online: 740

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Sizing scanned prints

I have switched from Mac to Windows 7. Is there a way to use windows 7 to size scanned photos from wet darkroom prints that have been scanned to a certain size? I want to restart my greeting card business and need 4x6 inkjet prints to do this. Really don't want to buy Photoshop Elements 11, am hoping there is a tool in Windows 7 that can do this for me. Thanks, Don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Irfanview is a free program that can do this either interactive or as a batch job. Works like a charm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Spijker, will give that a try. If you are ever in Almonte, stop by. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can try the GIMP, Free Open Source Software (FOSS):
    http://www.gimp.org/
    It's quite powerful.

I'm not sure if it handles 16-bit graphics yet.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FastStone Image Viewer is a very functional editing and organizational tool that includes an excellent re-sizing tool.

And it too can be used free: http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gimp if you want to edit (e.g. clone out dust spots), faststone if you want a neat GUI that basically just batch-resizes.

Use Image Magick if you want to write scripts that do moderately complex manipulations to images, e.g. scale, sharpen, add watermark and then add a border.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need to buy Adobe software. Adobe lists superseded software on its website that can be downloaded free of charge and even updated.
    Among them is Photoshop, Lightroom, Elements... the usual inflated and over-featured industry-standard packages. Personally Elements does the job well enough for me, as does Irfanview. 4x6 prints don't require a very big scan size; enlarge them to 300% on-screen to despeckle/dust.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you can script operations in GIMP, and if memory serves, I once scripted simple operations in an old (pre-CS) version of Photoshop. The latter was on a Mac, so it I might have done the scripting through the OS instead.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin