Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,252   Online: 868

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Size of mats

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I recently bought a mat cutter, so that's part of the reason I was asking. I hope to give it a try soon, maybe this weekend, unless the weather is good and I'm out shooting.

So do you ever use any colored mat boards as overlays or does everyone just use a white board as an overlay? Is this another personal preference thing or is there some 'standard'?
    Diane

Halak 41

Images
    Purely a personal preference thing. I think the Standard for BW or other monochrome print (Pt/Pd etc) would be white. With color most people try to compliment a color in the scene. Personally I like white mats for everything. SOmetimes a white mat and a black core for color.

My wife on the other hand likes colored mats. SO, since I am the man of the house, my color work is matted in colored mats.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Having done my own framing for years and having worked in 2 frame shops...

The standard is 3" top and sides, 3"-4" bottom.

I prefer to have the heavier bottom.

joe

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When AA was working at MOMA, Strand, who was mounting a show at the time, asked for AA's opinion in placement of a print on the mount board. Apparently the placements he was considering differed by about 1/4 on an inch. It was that criticle to Strand.

Since you own a matte cutter yourself, you can experiment as to what you want to do, how much border you want.

The larger the border, the more comtemplative the effect. An 8x10 to 16x20 is what I offer for my images, 11x14 to 20x24 and 16x20 to 22x28.

As for good weather, here in NJ a blizzard is just starting, 12 plus inches of snow and 50 mph winds tonight, sub zero wind chills. Anyone for some night photography?
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Images
    It's just starting to snow here too. After I get some wood piled up by the door, I've got some mats to cut and prints to mount.

RAP, They're talking about white-out conditions tonight. Not great for interesting photographs. Stay inside where it's warm and take some pictures of a white card instead
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    White out conditions? That is the only time you can photograph a polar bear in NJ is during a blizzard at night. I'll be watching from my deck.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Images
    What color mat are you going to use for your picture of a polar bear in a white-out snowstorm?

White?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I meant to reply to this sooner...so maybe my contribution is a bit useless at this point.

I have a mat cutter, and I used to mount photos into mats one size up. So 8x10 in 11x14, 11x14 in 16x20. The reasons were that 1) these were "standard" sizes which let me buy cheap frames in bulk when they went on sale and 2) I saved a bit of money by not having to buy all, say, 16x20 mats if I put both sizes into big mats like that.

However, for a recent set of prints I sold, I had custom frames and mats done. I standardized on 14x16 for my "smaller" mat (8x8, 8x10, 10x10 prints) and 17x20 for my "larger" mat (11x14, 12x12, etc prints). I was actually kind of torn about these, but I wanted to be able to keep the same orientation for all the frames so that they could be hung (or interchanged) easily. To do that in a "standard" mat, I would've had to use 16x20 for the smaller prints, and whatever is the next size up from 16x20 for the bigger prints. I felt that was getting a bit too big, though. So I made this compromise.

However, I"m now back in the same dilemma. I can actually get these mats pre-cut for pretty cheaply, but then I have to get custom frames, which are probably a good 25% more than the cheap-o ones I usually get. I actually prefer the look of using bigger mats, but the mats cost more, and they certainly take up more room. And I do think my custom sizes are a good compromise, but then I have to get custom frames.

So...it's a toss-up. I'll probably just buy pre-cut standard mats at the local Michael's or whatever, for practicality. If I were to sell more, though, I'd go with larger custom ones.

Wow. this got longer than I meant it to be. sorry.

allan

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We're only getting a dusting of snow, but some really cold temperatures. I like snow.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    I meant to reply to this sooner...so maybe my contribution is a bit useless at this point.

I have a mat cutter, and I used to mount photos into mats one size up. So 8x10 in 11x14, 11x14 in 16x20. The reasons were that 1) these were "standard" sizes which let me buy cheap frames in bulk when they went on sale and 2) I saved a bit of money by not having to buy all, say, 16x20 mats if I put both sizes into big mats like that.

However, for a recent set of prints I sold, I had custom frames and mats done. I standardized on 14x16 for my "smaller" mat (8x8, 8x10, 10x10 prints) and 17x20 for my "larger" mat (11x14, 12x12, etc prints). I was actually kind of torn about these, but I wanted to be able to keep the same orientation for all the frames so that they could be hung (or interchanged) easily. To do that in a "standard" mat, I would've had to use 16x20 for the smaller prints, and whatever is the next size up from 16x20 for the bigger prints. I felt that was getting a bit too big, though. So I made this compromise.

However, I"m now back in the same dilemma. I can actually get these mats pre-cut for pretty cheaply, but then I have to get custom frames, which are probably a good 25% more than the cheap-o ones I usually get. I actually prefer the look of using bigger mats, but the mats cost more, and they certainly take up more room. And I do think my custom sizes are a good compromise, but then I have to get custom frames.

So...it's a toss-up. I'll probably just buy pre-cut standard mats at the local Michael's or whatever, for practicality. If I were to sell more, though, I'd go with larger custom ones.

Wow. this got longer than I meant it to be. sorry.

allan

No problem. It's not too late (or long) either. It's interesting to see how people do these things. I suspect it will take some experimentation on my part to see what I like. Thanks for all the great replies!
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin