Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 970

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Size of mats

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images

Size of mats

Is there a guide for making mats to fit prints? I am planning to mat some 8x10 and 11x14 sized prints and I was wondering what size (outer edges) the mat used would be. How much space do most of you put around your work?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Diane,

For 8x10 prints I like 14x17 (Although for the print exchange I use 11x14) and for 11x14 prints I like 16x20.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's really quite subjective, I think, as tastes vary widely. I use the next standard size for simplicity. So, I use 11x14 mats for 8x10 prints, 16x20 mats for 11x14 prints, etc. That's partly because I'm . . . well, frugal, and prefer to buy precut mats and standard frames.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like most others, I just use a frame the next standard size up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with JMoore, I usually prefer two standard sized up from what teh photo is (usually leaving at least a 2 inch border).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    5x7 and smaller I put in 11x14 and 5x7-8x10 (my largest prints) are in 14x18 size mats. I think the 14x18 are a little too wide for 8x10 prints so the next order will probably be for 14x17 instead.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Jim. I'm a sucker for large borders and small prints. Or big prints and even bigger borders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Diane,
    I prefer 16x20 mats for both 8x10 and 11x14 prints..I have done some 11x14 mats for 8x10 recently (don't print full 8x10 prints anyhow), but they just don't look as nice as the ones done with the 16x20 mats. Now for 4x5 and 5x7 contact prints the 11x14 mats look good. Guess like others above, prefer lots of space around the print.
    Good Luck..
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    I have been printing on 8x10 paper and have standardized on a 14x14 mat and frame. It allows me to print horizontal and vertical in various aspect ratios while the frames remain uniform. Some may disagree but I like the look. Maybe it's all those years in the slide business .
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If there is one thing that you do, it is to buy precut mats. Trying to get nice square cuts on amature equipment can be a nightmare. I find buying the precut standard sizes and cutting the windows to fit to work the best for me.

Maybe if I started taking more trapezoidal pictures I could salvage all those wasted window mats...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin