Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,653   Online: 757

Shooter
    Medium Format

fingerprints on final prints

What's the best way to clean fingerprints or other smudges off of a print. After mounting and matting, and just before framing with glass, I'd like to give the print a once over to remove any remaining fingerprints. I was thinking of using rubbing alcohol. Okay on negs, so I'm thinking it should be fine on FB paper as well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Try it on a reject print first...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Rubbing alcohol has a high water content. Water means gelatin softening. You're only lucky so far you've gotten by on negatives. Try just light dry-buffing with cotton balls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A) if you're leaving fingerprints, you need to consider wearing cotton gloves when handling your work. They can be bought in large quantities fairly inexpensively.
    B) George Tice used to wipe his prints with a large powder puff to clean the surface. I use an anti static cloth myself. For glossy paper, breathing on the print and wiping carefully will help. I've used alcohol, but it in turn it leaves a slight smudge. Then the breath plus wiping fixes it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PEC-12 works wonderfully on the accompanying PEC-Pads for cleaning just about anything off a print or a neg...or glass..or anything for that matter. A clean anti-stat cloth can be adequate as well...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin