Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,554   Posts: 1,545,008   Online: 745

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing prints

Shooter
    Multi Format

Signing prints

Any suggestions regarding signing glossy prints? I find that the gloss is too much even for the softest pencil leads. I could use a fine felt pen, but I fear the signature would be quite pronounced. I don't use glossy paper often, but when I do, I don't look forward to signing the print. I like to leave a paper border--wider at the bottom--and sign the print as opposed to putting my signature on the overmat.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sign my prints on the back, where the paper surface doesn't matter.

If you dry-mount, sign it on the back of the mount since you won't ever remove the print from it. You might even consider a custom stamp to use on the verso, for authenticity. Looks nice.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a stamp with my name and address on the back and I sign with a soft pencil also on the back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's a pic of Masao Yamamoto's print stamp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 2.46.26 PM.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	376.5 KB 
ID:	71384
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have signed in the white border of hinge mounted, overmatted color (yech!) glossies with various fine point felt style pens. This is not, of course, archival, but neither are the prints, so I don't fret over it.

The situation is quite different with archivally processed monochrome prints. Even if you choose not to dry mount, signing on the front of the print itself is widely considered to be gauche. Sign somewhere immediately close to the print on the mat, preferably in pencil, whichever mounting procedure you choose. But also, and this is more critical than an actual signature, label the print with all suitable identifying provenance information using any of a number of methods searchable elsewhere on this site, either on the back of the print itself if not permanently attached to its mount, or on its mount. If a print is good enough to present (e.g., mount, frame), it should be properly identified. Personally, I also despise signing, but it is a necessary evil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, many print competitions will disqualify prints that show information that would identify the photographer when viewed by the judges.

So for that purpose, any signature on the front would need to be hidden by a mat.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    signing on the front of the print itself is widely considered to be gauche.

I've never heard such a thing in the 20 years I have exhibited and sold my work. Most photos I see in museums and galleries are signed on the front of the print right under the image in the lower right corner. Drymounted ones are often signed on the backing board under the print (mat window is cut larger on the bottom to allow the signature to show). Signing a mat should never be done because the signature is lost if the mat ever needs replaced.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have not understood what I have written. Most properly presented traditionally produced monochrome prints (GSP, platinum, etc.), and that includes major museums I have visited, are not signed on the front of the PRINT, though many are unsigned anywhere on the front of the piece at all. I make no claim as to pigment prints, inkjets, color, or chriscrawfordphotos of any kind.

Your own written claim that dry mounted prints are signed below the print on the mount is contrary to your claim that signing a mat should never be done... At least be consistent in your written communication. Mat board is mat board whether it is used for mounting or windowing. The separation argument is the reason for properly identifying the work unambiguously on the back of the PRINT, if not permanently attached to its mount.
    Last edited by ROL; 07-11-2013 at 05:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    India ink in a 0.35mm Rapidograph (tech pen). On the back usually because I don't have a drymount press and don't print with huge borders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your comments. I do dry mount my prints (on acid-free foam board), and overlap the print border with the mat. It is the print border that shows and not the backing board. Perhaps with glossy prints I can change that practice.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin