Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,292   Posts: 1,535,457   Online: 1021

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dry mounting press sponge pad alternatives

Hello Apugers,

I've been lucky to score a used Seal Masterpiece dry mounting press which I'll be using to flatten and mount prints. Unfortunately it came without the sponge/foram/rubber pad on the bottom. Located in Germany, I have been unable to locate a source from which I can order such a pad. I would import it myself from the States, but shipping costs are just insane. So I thought of looking for alternatives first.

Did you use some other material except the original sponge pad successfully? If so what's your solution? I gather heat resistant and kind-of-soft but not too soft good - but that's very subjective. Maybe there's an alternative easy to source material I can use, like a certain type foamboard, or anti-splip rubber mats, camping mats, etc.?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Andi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always used mount board, two sheets either side, I warm these up to dry them before starting. My dry mounting press is an old Ademco though not a Seal.

You could try Lion Picture framing in the UK, they have a large warehouse in Birmingham - I've used them for around 27 years. Theey have a company making Dry mounting Presses so stock everything needed.

Welcome to APUG BTW.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-14-2013 at 05:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct link

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Link does not work (for me).

This one works:

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ian,

thanks for the Lion Picture link and the welcome. I'll ask them if the can get me this foam pad.

I've been using a mat board sandwich with a vacuum press so far and will use that with the mechanical press as well. However, as far as I understand it, the rubber pad is there to even out the pressure while giving some slack to account for the slight unevenness of the plate and quite some rough bottom shell of the press. I thought of stacking a couple of layers of mat board into the bottom and give it a try.

Best,
    Andi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This wonderful online shop is in Germany. They have everything and more.

http://www.modulor.de/shop/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ghostman. Unfortunately Modulor can't get the item. I've tried Monochom as well since they sell the recent incarnation of those presses, but have not heard back from them. Calumet did not respond either (they sell the pad on the US site, but its absent on the EU sites). Drymounting.de does not offer Seal parts anymore, same with Leha. I mailed Lion UK this morning, keeping fingers crossed.

So long,
    Andi

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    This wonderful online shop is in Germany. They have everything and more.

http://www.modulor.de/shop/
    I did not know this shop before... Outstanding are the good descriptions of materials.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin