Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,070   Online: 1093

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you everyone for your input, much appreciated!

I also noticed that it takes some practice using the Dexter. It gets better when I have to cut several mats in a row, but better don't ask how many times I screwed up... Oh well...

Luckily I found a shop who has the 350-1 model on sale at the moment, and I was also given a discount voucher by them, so in the end, the 350-1 cost just 11 Euros more than the 301, which I would have taken otherwise. Now I look forward to working with it - some prints are waiting to be framed

Thank you once again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I purchased one *many* years ago - I love it!
    As others have said - it sure beats a knife and a straight edge hands down.

Didn't realise they came with a DVD now - guess that actually shows how long I really have had it!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nanette, there are some nice videos on youtube. Just look them up.

They make it look very easy - I hope it will be for me, too ;-) *just kidding*

I can't wait to cut my first mat with this thing! I have the feeling that cutting mats may become my new hobby - LOL!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swittmann View Post
    Nanette, there are some nice videos on youtube. Just look them up.

They make it look very easy - I hope it will be for me, too ;-) *just kidding*

I can't wait to cut my first mat with this thing! I have the feeling that cutting mats may become my new hobby - LOL!
    Now why didn't I think of that???? Thanks for the heads up!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Used a Dexter for several years and did quite well. Still use it to cut mat board down to size. Logan is much much nicer.

Straight corners -- start your cut by inserting the blade partially into the matboard an inch or so early while moving the cutter, then press down the rest of the way at your starting mark.

I found it was the initial pushing of the blade into the matboard that would deform the blade -- then as one starts the cut the blade would straighten out and give one a curved start. By starting the cut early while drawing the cutter forward keeps the blade from deforming. Works with 4 and 8 ply.

With 8-ply I found that using multiple passes (usually 3), working the blade deeper into the board each time works the easiest. I cut a lot of 8 ply.

PS -- I did not have money for beer in college, so I put signs up in the Art Department..."Will cut window mats for beer". An average job might cost a 4-pack of Guinness (no cheap American crap! This was before the micro-brews.) One while doing the job, the rest for later.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 08-29-2013 at 10:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

Straight corners -- start your cut by inserting the blade partially into the matboard an inch or so early while moving the cutter, then press down the rest of the way at your starting mark.

I found it was the initial pushing of the blade into the matboard that would deform the blade -- then as one starts the cut the blade would straighten out and give one a curved start. By starting the cut early while drawing the cutter forward keeps the blade from deforming. Works with 4 and 8 ply.
    That is a great sounding suggestion. I never tried that. I do have my technique down with the dexter/logan combo and can make perfect cuts. But I have quite a lot of logan blades to use.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, back to the Dexter cutters, I once attended a framing workshop by a guy who was the curator of a major private print collection. He used a Dexter, but he said contrary to the normal instructions, he cuts from the front surface which allows seeing exactly where the visible cut is going. The only time this could be a problem is in the case of textured foil surfaces or the like, for which a strip of heavy paper or cardstock for the cutter to slide on can protect the surface. His major trick was that in starting the cut, you position the guide surface of the cutter body slightly away from the straightedge such that plunging the tip of the angled blade in snugs the guide surface right against the edge. If you put the cutter body directly against the straightedge and then push the blade in, it flexes and swerves outward as the cut starts, creating the curve. (The trick is to cut about 100 mats to learn what that distance needs to be!)

Now that I own a Logan, I go with that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    ...His major trick was that in starting the cut, you position the guide surface of the cutter body slightly away from the straightedge such that plunging the tip of the angled blade in snugs the guide surface right against the edge. If you put the cutter body directly against the straightedge and then push the blade in, it flexes and swerves outward as the cut starts, creating the curve. (The trick is to cut about 100 mats to learn what that distance needs to be!)...
    That is what I use to do with the Dexter also -- and what led me to my method with the Logan I wrote about above.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great thread with some excellent tips. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you once again for the precious tips!

Today, my cutter came and I already cut 3 mats. Wow, what difference! All 3 mats turned out perfectly, straight edges, perfect corners, beautiful bevels - fantastic! (read: this thing is fool proof - LOL!)

I really like that the cutting tools are lead by the guide rails, so the cuts turn out really straight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin