Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,453   Online: 1163

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that you have mastered straight line matt cutting, you can start on your oval matt cutting technique! Worked in a lab that offered this service - I *never* got the hang of it; so many useless pieces of matt-board after I tried, I was banned from cutting anything other than regular matts. At least I excelled at those. . . . . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hahaha, Nanette Ovals, circles, floral ornaments, corn circles... time to get creative *LOL*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Been away from this thread for a few days - about the curving of the cut at the end (or beginning). To minimize this, the depth of your cut must be just deep enough to penetrate your backing board (which really should be the same kind of board as the matt. (If you don't use a backing board, letting the blade tip run into the "trough" in the board, you run the risk of ragged edge cuts.)
    When I get a new pack of board, the first thing I do is mess around with the depth set screw so that the blade cuts just deep enough to go through. The reason this cutter makes nicer cuts and over-run cuts than the Dexter is that the blade is thinner. If the blade is running too deep, it can curve (in the middle of the cut too, you just might not see it because the right angle of the side isn't nearby).
    The next thing is to be sure that the board is sitting on a stable (very strong, or stiff) table top. If the board is allowed to bow (especially on very long cuts), the blade may not cut deep enough, as the matt and backing "dip" down during the cut, but the length of the cutting tool won't allow it to bend. For this reason, some folks set the depth deeper than necessary to accommodate the bowing, as there is no bigger PITA than finishing an incomplete cut on a large matt.
    All of this comes from doing a lot of matts and several conversations with Logan customer service over the years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope Sandra won't mind my jumping on this thread :-)

I am about to purchase the Logan 350-1 Compact Elite as well, but I have one worry - in the seller's description I read that it can cut borders between 1,9 - 11,4cm. Now, when I mount some of my smaller prints, it sometimes happens that I need the border to be, say, 13 or 14cm. Would this be possible with the Logan?

Thanks for answers!

Andrej
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    I hope Sandra won't mind my jumping on this thread :-)

I am about to purchase the Logan 350-1 Compact Elite as well, but I have one worry - in the seller's description I read that it can cut borders between 1,9 - 11,4cm. Now, when I mount some of my smaller prints, it sometimes happens that I need the border to be, say, 13 or 14cm. Would this be possible with the Logan?

Thanks for answers!

Andrej
    Yes, this is easily doable, but you'll need to remove the parallel mat guide and mark-up and measure the size of the aperture manually.

The 350-1 is a great mat cutter for the low volume user, I love mine! :-)
    Cheers,

Jim.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin