Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,719   Online: 883

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Logan Mat Cutter 350-1 Compact Elite

Dear all,

My husband asked me what I would like to have as birthday gift and I told him that my wish would be a new mat cutter. I stumbled upon a Logan 350-1 Compact Elite, which seems to have the right size for me/my prints.

Has anybody here some experience with this mat cutter?

I have been using a Dexter free hand cutter (or whatever this is called in English) for several years, but I am looking for a bit more comfort now, to be honest...

I am open for your suggestions, hints and tips

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having never used anything like this before, I bought one a few weeks ago. My very first attempt came out exactly as planned, which can't be bad!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used one very similar to this. It's much easier to use and less straining than using free hand knives (we call them exactos where I come from but it's the same idea).

I noticed that this one, like the one I used before, has an option to set the blade at a 45 degree angle to bevel your windows. I would never have done that free hand although you may have more skill.

Looks like a good value mat cutter and I imagine your hands would thank you. Probably will pay for itself in mat board over the long run.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used a Dexter as a student years ago, and it doesn't compare to the Logan cutters. For one thing the Dexter blade is thicker, so the over cuts are much more obvious.

You might consider the Logan 301 - I believe it is the same as the 350, without the measuring rule and the square arm, and is less than $100 USD. I would never trust either one, especially the squaring arm.
    I measure a rectangle and mark it on the back side of the matte (with either Logan, you mark the back, not the front side, like the Dexter, IIRC), then cut using the rail guide, which, on mine, is reliable and stays parallel when adjusted for width. Also, for long cuts, if you keep the cutting tool in place, you can slide the whole matte board and continue cutting without a hitch in the edge.
    It also comes with two cutting tools, one for bevels, one that cuts straight down, nice for cutting the outside, and for cutting foam core.

But the big reason for going with the cheaper model - you can wrangle another present from him with what's left over - like blades - or matte board - or dinner. . .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have been using the 301 or 301-1 for about 20 years. I was never able to solve my tendency to curve my cut at the end or the beginning of the cut. I now still use the Logan base with the hold down bar but I use a Dexter with it instead of the Logan cutter and blade. Now I get straight cuts.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oops. clearly I had never heard of a Dexter cutter but have now been educated by Google. It looks considerably easier to use than an exacto (especially for bevels) but more difficult than a logan.

I'll go now. Don't mind me...

[exits quietly]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the same problem, Dennis, with my bigger, fancier, more expensive 650 (I think that's the model number). It has production stops, which are nice, especially when you're cutting multiple windows, and it will handle boards up to 40" wide. It in theory can cut 8 ply mats as well, but it always curves the cuts on the 8-ply. I wish it was more reliable in that regard so I could cut my own 8-ply mats which just look SOOOO nice when done right.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I have been using the 301 or 301-1 for about 20 years. I was never able to solve my tendency to curve my cut at the end or the beginning of the cut. I now still use the Logan base with the hold down bar but I use a Dexter with it instead of the Logan cutter and blade. Now I get straight cuts.
    Dennis
    This is easy to overcome if you press the knifeholder sideways against the ruler while you cut. I had this problem only with the first two cuts. Then never again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know what my Logan model is, but it may be the compact. In any case, I love it. I can cut beutiful mats in no time. I use the 'optical center' method, so the top and bottom cuts are different, as are the sides. A quick layout, and it's easy. You can also do straight cuts to reduce the size of a mat board. All in all a great tool - I thank my Wife every time I use it.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the Logan cutters in general are decently made and good value. I chose a 750-1 Simplex Elite in order to be able to cut mat across a 40 inch dimension (the compacts limit to 32) and also score acrylic glazing, etc. I may never use some of those features, but I also occasionally paint watercolors and I might make use of them. For years I used a Dexter cutter and a straight edge, but it requires more attention to detail than I'd like, and ideally it needs a way to clamp the straight edge down. I was once told folks in the back rooms at the Philly Art Museum use the Dexters and a straight edge. I'm not sure I believe that, but then if true, they probably use them frequently enough to stay in practice.

I think all the Logan cutters come with a DVD that is a pretty well done introduction to how to cut mats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin