Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,951   Online: 695

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Oh, I don't intend to offend anyone .... the less "archival" the mounting is, that will just thin out the mountain of ugly oversized Fauxtoshopped inkjet prints the next generation has to figure out how to get rid of. But Chris - facemounting done right can be lovely. It's just kinda ironic
    in a thread advocating acidic, formaldehye-fumey, sulphur-speckled pulp-wood mounting. I did quite a bit of facemounting at one time, and
    it was a minimum thousand dollar upcharge per print. With today's optically-coated plexi, I'd realistically want double that upcharge for even
    a moderate sized prints. Really big spliced ones can cost tens of thousands of dollars to mount that way. But I don't print billboard-sized stuff
    myself. Never will.

when did i say or even suggest plak mounting, mounting on masonite, making light jet prints &c was archival ...or i was offended ?

i amused how you equate well done "trade show" stuff as an elvis rug on the wall of a double wide trailor
    and of course, the way you posture as ... well ... DREW ...

good times!
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-14-2014 at 02:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nobody uses masonite for trade shows either. Too heavy. Just fomecare at best, maybe inkjet directly on Sintra. Nobody cares. Three days later it all gets thrown away anyway. Otherwise, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Nobody uses masonite for trade shows either. Too heavy. Just fomecare at best, maybe inkjet directly on Sintra. Nobody cares. Three days later it all gets thrown away anyway. Otherwise, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
    thanks for the info, its newz to me .. !

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I sure haven't been seen it done that way in a long time. I've attended a lot of trade shows and even organized quite a few of them. Things gotta be portable and fast to set up. I don't think I've even seen a mfg logo printed on masonite for a couple decades. Big sign shot across the street never uses it. Sintra took over well back. And fomecore is actually cheaper than any of the good grades of masonite. But customs might
    differ elsewhere. Masonite is messy stuff in a shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was at Silver Eye Gallery in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago, and almost all the large prints were mounted on masonite. Of course, they were all printed digitally.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    99% of people will use materials that are subpar from the best to mount/present their artwork, whether they are photographers, painters, or printmakers. The remainder will take the time/spend the money/live on ramen in order to go all out. This has always been the case. I refuse to even think about using anything other than 8 ply for my windows.

That said, not every occasion demands the best, but as an artist I think it is my responsibility to provide it nonetheless.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in addition to what you said chris,
    there is a difference between images used for presentation and
    decorative purposes and something that is sold as " high art "
    personally, i would rather get my work out there, and offer someone an inexpensive alternative
    to a 2k mount job for a print whose life expectancy is 70 years at most.

and the people i have sold to really dont mind that ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    As long as there's no misrepresentation about expectations. Let me give you an example. A local dealer of very expensive, irreplaceable classic
    19th century images (selling for quite a few thousands of dollars apiece), made the mistake of storing them on shelving of this kind of material.
    Collectors bought the images (which naturally weren't toned with most stable compounds way back then)... pull out their portfolio boxes six
    months later, and no image! Just an ugly stain. So the dealer ends up facing about a hundred grand loss out of his own pocket, uninsured, plus
    the accusation of fraud. The sad thing, is that he took the word of an eccentric art conservator in Britain who only knew about conserving
    sculptures, and never sought a second opinion. ...Er, rather rejected it with some cusswords as I recall... But C prints actually do a little better on masonite because the silver is fixed out and only a dye image remains. But in humid conditions (especially) the contaminants in the
    board will eventually discolor the paper itself. Some adhesives help isolate things a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I was the one who stated this thread I'll post a couple of images of my nearly completed mounted print. Frame build of 1X4 lumber. Masonite top. Sides painted black. Golden gloss gel cut with water. 80% gel/20% water. Brushed heavily on the masonite. Print applied to masonite. Rolled with paper protecting the print to even gel. Weighted down overnight. Edges trimmed. I still need to run a black marker around the edges to get rid of the white line from the paper trim. Image is six consecutive frames of 35mm to give context to 18 other images about this person.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pano3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	85160

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, the image is six feet long. The ruler in the front is a 4ft ruler.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin