Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,001   Online: 834

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you do use 'sharpen', you can adjust the degree of the filter by going into edit and using 'fade sharpen'. That works, (the fader) for a lot of adjustments in photoshop.
    John Voss

My Blog

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    Hi Ole, I have downloaded IrfanView. Could you give me a crash-course on how to save for web?

Peter
    Resample (Edit->Resize/Resample) to the size you want. Remember to tick on "Keep aspect ratio", and select "Resample (better quality)", and pick Lanczos filter frm the menu.

After that, Image-> Sharpen. Then adjust the colours with Image -> Enhance colours if needed.

Then File -> Save as, select jpeg, tick on "details" and "Show options dialog". Save the file under a new name. Repeat, noticing the size of the file you just saved. If it's too big, use more compression. If it is far too small, use less compression.

Since IrfanView is very fast, I find that even when I need four iterations it is quicker than one single "Save for web" in another program!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Its worth trying to do a Sharpen more or a regular Sharpen before you downsize. It all depends on the original image's size. The larger it is, the softer it'll be after downsizing.. On some images, I have to do a Sharpen More, then another regular Sharpen as well before downsizing. Then afterwards, I apply a Sharpen Unmask to finalize it.. I've attached a sample.
    Last edited by djklmnop; 02-01-2005 at 07:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't take much to confuse me, seems to me doing all this stuff would be "digital doctoring". I am simply an old smuck that has a computer and an old flat bed scanner. Frankly I have not been overly unhappy with the images I have been able to upload, they don't match my prints, but then they don't have any of the manipulations you folks are talking about.

I guess 21st century photography and internet posting is beyond my grasp!
    I will however continue to plug along and do my camera/darkroom work just like I have been doing for the past 55 years. To me removing just one dust spot digitally makes the print something other than analog. Just my opinion!

Let the flames begin!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Don't take much to confuse me, seems to me doing all this stuff would be "digital doctoring".
    I can certainly understand how you would feel that way, at first glance that is how it seems. However, whenever you decided to upload an image to APUG, you need to scan it first. Scanning software removes the noise from the image, making it softer. Then, since the scan is too big to upload, you have to resize the image (removing pixels) which can further soften the images. The unsharp mask - which is based upon the old darkroom technique of creating masks to sharpen an image - needs to be used to re-sharpen the image.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess 21st century photography and internet posting is beyond my grasp!
    I will however continue to plug along and do my camera/darkroom work just like I have been doing for the past 55 years. To me removing just one dust spot digitally makes the print something other than analog. Just my opinion!
    There's no problem with that, I think.

If you want to sell prints on the internet, it is mandatory that they also look good on a monitor.
    Adding a message my pictures might look crappy on your monitor but the print is fantastic won't help anyone sell a picture online.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    . . . To me removing just one dust spot digitally makes the print something other than analog. Just my opinion! Let the flames begin!
    I think the nice thing about opinions, Charles, is that they all have equal validity . . . as opinions.

Personally, I think it's OK to make adjustments to a scan so it represents the original print as accurately as possible. Otherwise, comments and suggestions about the image are a useless exercise. It's the old "this scan doesn't look anything like the print, but please go to the trouble of providing a critique, anyway" situation. But, like you, I feel if I didn't take the trouble to spot the original print, I shouldn't remove those spots in the scan. Removing dust that was introduced in scanning, however, seems OK to me.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop
    Its worth trying to do a Sharpen more or a regular Sharpen before you downsize. It all depends on the original image's size. The larger it is, the softer it'll be after downsizing.. On some images, I have to do a Sharpen More, then another regular Sharpen as well before downsizing. Then afterwards, you apply the Sharpen Unmask to finalize the sharpening before downsizing.. I've attached a sample.
    On my monitor, the un-sharpened thumbnail attached looks better. For example, the numbers on the speedlimit sign look broken up and incomplete in the sharpened image.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Don't take much to confuse me, seems to me doing all this stuff would be "digital doctoring". I am simply an old smuck that has a computer and an old flat bed scanner. Frankly I have not been overly unhappy with the images I have been able to upload, they don't match my prints, but then they don't have any of the manipulations you folks are talking about.
    The first thing my scanner does is remove any tone from my image and turns the paper base border light yellow or light blue. It creates something that bears no resemblance to my analogue print. Any doctoring I do helps to cure the "digital sickness" of the scanner and helps me represent my analogue work as accurately as I can in the gallery.

So let's cut the flame war BS, take some photos, print them, share them and talk about them...
    Best regards,
    James

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmelas
    Any doctoring I do helps to cure the "digital sickness" of the scanner and helps me represent my analogue work as accurately as I can in the gallery.
    Exactly. Any manipulation I do is only to make the "image" on the monitor resemble as closely as possible the actual photograph. FWIW, My flatbed scanner cost less than a hundred bucks and the Photoshop version I use is the "Business Edition," which came bundled for free with the scanner and is about as basic as you can get. All I need to do is sharpen the image a bit and adjust the contrast, and I'm happy.
    "Through photography I would present the significance of facts, so they are transformed from things seen to things known..." Edward Weston (1932)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin