Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,072   Online: 1056

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is no such thing as an "unmanipulated scan." Every scanner has an interface, and the interface allows for certain choices to be made, most of which are implemented after the scanner does its work. Even if you just choose to use the auto-exposure function in the scanner interface, that is a choice, and you are allowing the interface software do the manipulation, rather than doing it yourself.

I think the best we can do is trust that those who post images here will do their best to match the real prints (whether they scan from print or neg) or transparencies, and that those who are viewing these images will look at them as representations, and not as the real thing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

About the eternal apug.org digital nonsense debate

This thread shows what a hopeless dilemma apug.org is dealing with. To even try making a purist "analogue" gallery/site on the www, which is a digital media, is completely nonsense to begin with. There are as many ways to digitalize a negative/print as there are members to apug.org. And every one of us have different limits as to what is "legal" operations in PS or any other DIGITAL photo manipulation software.

I'm new to this site, but if you ask me, the idea must be that film is used in the first place - it has its distinct look and "feel" and captures light in a way that gives the final image, even after digital enhancements, an definitive edge compared to digital captures.This site should be an oasis for the film-lover, not the digital hater.

Accept the digital darkroom; Every user of this site, even the most purist ones of you, depend on it. There are no ways around this fact. And stop trying to define what is acceptable PS behaviour and what is not. There are many ways to make an omelet...

With analogue respect
    Lydersen
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lydersen
    I'm new to this site, but if you ask me, the idea must be that film is used in the first place - it has its distinct look and "feel" and captures light in a way that gives the final image, even after digital enhancements, an definitive edge compared to digital captures.This site should be an oasis for the film-lover, not the digital hater.
    Lydersen,

Welcome to the forum. I think you are mistaken about the general feeling here. True, there are those that hate "digital", but there are also those who just see it as just another medium, and those in between. However, we all see this as a place to discuss "film", and we all just try to get along. Part of getting along is disagreeing; disagreeing sometimes means heated debate, but in the end we really do get along.

IMO, digital "capture" equals mediocrity, which is the reason I don't do it. Which is why I am here.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lydersen
    Accept the digital darkroom; Every user of this site, even the most purist ones of you, depend on it. There are no ways around this fact. And stop trying to define what is acceptable PS behaviour and what is not. There are many ways to make an omelet...

With analogue respect
    Lydersen
    Norway
    Well now, there is fine intorduction. I suppose you have put your foot down about this. Were your hands on your hips as well as you scolded the children? :rolleyes:
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin