Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,044   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edition Sizes

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently had this conversation with a well-known gallery owner here in Santa Fe. We were talking about Michael Kenna who limits his editions and then Arnold Newman who does not.
    Michael limits his to 45 copies. So, based on his pricing, he makes about $150,000 per image, if it sells out. When the edition sells out, Michael no longer makes money on it. Only the gallery does.
    On the other hand, Arnold Newman does not limit his images. So, a picture like his portrait of Stravinski has made him and his galleries a lot of money over the years.

There is also a view camera or camera arts article where John Paul Caponigro interviews his Father, Paul Caponigro on this as well. JP limits, Paul does not.

Not sure if this helps. Just a bit of reference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since these are hand-made prints, and it's a considerable amount of work to do each print, if I was purchasing one I would not be concerned about whether or not it was a limited edition. If there was the potential that the print could be mass-produced, it might be a different story. Actually I don't know a thing about colour prints, can they be massed produced?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker
    Actually I don't know a thing about colour prints, can they be massed produced?
    Yes, most colour prints these days are digital (ie lightjet or inkjet). So they are easy to mass produce.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin