Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,985   Online: 848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Source for gaterboard

Looking for a source for gaterboard, some place in usa..
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Google Gatorfoam. There are a lot of suppliers.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Out of curiosity, is gatorboard/gatorfoam just a manufacturer's trade-name for foamboard?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yes, and no...

elmer (the famous school glue manufacturer) sells foam board... i believe it IS ACID FREE but NOT LIGNIN FREE.

gatorboard, is what most photographers, framers call IT around here. for the most part from what I have seen (maybe not so everywhere else) it IS ACID FREE (should also be LIGNIN FREE).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gator is a much smoother, stiffer, higher-quality board than conventional fomecore. It is made differently. And more expensive. But it does need to be sanded lightly, or given a little tooth, to get adhesive sheets to hold.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ^ thanks drew... didn't know about that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the reply, so it is a sort of higher quality, harder surfaced foamboard with potential extra lifespan built in. However, if a standard foamboard contains lignin then I'm not sure how it could be sold as acid-free, regardless of any buffers used, so the acid-free versions sold here will also be lignin-free I think. Another question for the long-suffering local supplier . . .
    Last edited by MartinP; 11-13-2013 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: oops . . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ^ not necessarily... i'm not sure about standards in the pulp industry, but as you guessed buffers make it acid free, until the lignin turns acidic... i don't make the rules, but look it up... and do make sure you look for lignin free, i'm sure the 'extra' cost (of lignin free) pays off in the end, as many will testify for.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gator is nonporous and doesn't need buffers. The method of manufacture is completely different from ordinary paper-faced fomeboard. You can simply pull up the tech sheet on their website to read about this. Its properties are very well known. It is also more moisture and warp resistant, but for that very reason won't work for wet mounting. Another high-quality option is Ultraboard, then you go way up the price scale
    into aluminum-faced boards like Dibond. Ordinary art store fomeboard has its presentation limitations regardless of whether it's buffered or not. It warps easily and leaves a lot of "orangepeel" with glossier prints, because it is quite uneven. The best quality conventional fomeboard is
    called Mighty-Core, but it is not related to Gator either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was in business; I did cold mounting. Sanding Gatorfoam was a pain and dusty. I primed my boards with a 1:4 shellac/methyl hydrate solution. The shellac was as I remember a 2 lb. cut. Very fast dry and no dust.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin