Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,226   Online: 819

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't sell my work, it saves me the disappointment of nobody wanting to buy it .
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used to, and hope to have time for this again, once I retire from my day job (hopefully soon). Did commecial gigs (high end galleries), spinoffs
    from publicly-funded shows, word of mouth. Website is an utter waste of time. Once you develop a reputation for high-quality prints, how the hell does someone perceive the quality if it's been sifted through a digital saltshaker, with 90% never getting through the tiny holes? In my case, people need to see the real deal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Website is an utter waste of time.
    Could not agree more.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Only on request. Basically, I do my own thing for my own purposes but sometimes people see something they like and I'll print them a copy. I also do portraits/weddings on request - it's not something I tell people I do, but occasionally people decide they like my portraits and ask for a session.

I could never come close to making a living from photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I strongly disagree that websites are a waste of time. I've sold through mine numerous times. In fact, I'm finishing up three hand-painted prints for a couple who saw them at an art festival last August. They recently visited my Facebook photo page, were reminded of the photos, and placed an order. I've also sold to people who had seen my work in a gallery, googled me, and saw work I wasn't showing at the gallery. I arranged for them to see the other work at the gallery, where they made a purchase. They were happy, I was happy, and the gallery was happy (they got their % on the sale).
    If you really want to sell your work, in this internet age, you must use it as a marketing component.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm being dragged, mostly (initially) against my will, kicking and screaming , to Photo LA in January. First public showing in 5 years (i.e., since the start of the Depression).

A website is not "an utter waste of time". It is a tool, which if used correctly to support worthwhile work, can assist potential buyers in finding, identifying and branding your work. For those of us who are unable to sell by our name alone, a website is the necessary calling card of the age, if not an actual point of sale. Beyond that, some () have used their, as well as other internet, sites as outreach and education to the community as a whole.
    Last edited by ROL; 12-12-2013 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I used to, and hope to have time for this again, once I retire from my day job (hopefully soon). Did commecial gigs (high end galleries), spinoffs
    from publicly-funded shows, word of mouth. Website is an utter waste of time. Once you develop a reputation for high-quality prints, how the hell does someone perceive the quality if it's been sifted through a digital saltshaker, with 90% never getting through the tiny holes? In my case, people need to see the real deal.

if a website is a waste of time, why do YOU have one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if a website is a waste of time, why do YOU have one?
    Well, at least he didn't bust ME on that one.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't think websites are a waste of time if they are designed as selling sites, the problem is most don't do it right (including me).

I do sell some, I often sell them by accidentally leaving them exposed to the public, like going to Starbucks and leaving them spread on the table while doing something else like reading.

People who WANT the image will ask, and those that don't, won't, and you don't get a lot of "having to sell to people" which is nice.

Also word of mouth.

I also sell large family portraits to people after a shoot (but most of those are digital).

I leave prints on my mothers dining room table and when they have parties some of the guests buy them

I've also sold a few prints to people when I was trying to figure out which images I wanted to print for a show, I sold more images asking which ones they liked and which I should leave out of the show, than I did in the show itself LOL. (Coffee shop show...).
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do and I don't. I got interested in b&w analog photography as a hobby with no intention of selling any prints. I enjoy experimenting with different techniques, cutting my own mats, and making my own frames from rough lumber. That desire hasn't changed, except for the interest in alternative processes which I have yet to fulfill. I could never make a deadline and enjoy the entire process if I felt compelled to sell my photographs. Having said that the community art gallery, whose darkroom facilities I make good use of, often asks me to donate prints as a fundraiser for their education programs. Sometimes I make extra prints, frame them, and donate them to the gallery. Sometimes when a print sells, I get a tax receipt, but I have never received or taken any money. Nor do I intend to in the foreseeable future. My hats off to those who do sell their work. I've seen how hard it can be.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin