Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,074   Online: 1056

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never sold a rint through the inter net. I do not believe that the internet is a marketing tool; just a way to communicate.In order to sell; you must show your work and sell on the spot.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I do not believe that the internet is a marketing tool; just a way to communicate.In order to sell; you must show your work and sell on the spot.
    I agree that a website is primarily a communication tool. I've sold a bunch through my site, but only to people who had seen it in person. (At least I can't recall ever selling to someone who hadn't seen it hanging somewhere...) Sometimes it's months later, but the site gave them a way to find me. It also gave them an image to mull over, before purchasing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I agree that a website is primarily a communication tool. I've sold a bunch through my site, but only to people who had seen it in person. (At least I can't recall ever selling to someone who hadn't seen it hanging somewhere...) Sometimes it's months later, but the site gave them a way to find me. It also gave them an image to mull over, before purchasing.
    tha'ts a good point. don't expect anybody to find you on the internet ublessthey knew you already, but once they know you and cannot find you via google you don't seem to exist.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    tha'ts a good point. don't expect anybody to find you on the internet ublessthey knew you already, but once they know you and cannot find you via google you don't seem to exist.
    On that point Ralph:

Any progress on your wonderful website??
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no, I'm still looking for a new provider.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No I don't sell any prints and have no plans to do so.

About 25 years ago I did shoot photos that were sold (not many) to the local newspapers and also took photos at parties that were sold. I still remember that I worked in the darkroom (one that I borrowed from a friend of mine) until the middle of the night to reach the deadline of the newspaper. The photos I delivered both to the newspaper and to the people having the parties didn't mean much to me. In the end it meant that I lost all my passion for and my interest in photography for about 15 years.

About 10 years ago I moved to the other end of the country and didn't know any people in the local area, so I decided to take up photography again as a hobby. I have been asked maybe once or twice every year if I would take photos for weddings etc., but I always politely reject telling that photography for me is a hobby and not something I want to generate income from. The portraits I do, I always do for free (and give the person that I'm portraying a number of free prints) and only if I find the person interesting to portray. Today I enjoy photography much more than I ever did before. It's both a hobby and a passion at the same time and I hope it will be for many years to come.
    Henning

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Waiting and being Patient is not enough Wayne

Working really hard at getting your work out there is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Oh good, I only have 12 years more or so of being patient!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Darn. But yeah, I know that. My work was out there, and it will be again soon now that I'm no longer mourning for Ilfochrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try to sell your photos on a cruise ship line. Artists do that with paintings. Or at least companies that represent many artists.

Which reminds me of a personal story. My wife and I were sailing on a big cruise ship to Bermuda from NYC. They had a auction aboard for mainly oil artists. So my wife and I review some of the paintings before the auction to flag those we might be interested in. I had never bid at an auction so it was all new to me and I really didn't want to pay a lot anyway.

The auction opens and they show one of the pictures my wife likes that we saw earlier. There are about 40-50 people there. Trouble is the bidding has to start at $1400. I really didn't want bid that much but to keep my wife happy I opened the bid figuring to bow out quickly.

"Do I hear $1600? Do I hear $1500? Do I hear $1450?"
    said the auctioneer.

Well, no one raised my bid. I was the only bidder!

"Sold for $1400".

and I was stuck buying it. With commissions and other fees, it cost me over $1700.

Well, my wife's happy. It's pretty. It's hanging on our wall. It's the last auction I'll go too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin