Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,628   Posts: 1,647,942   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Do you sell you work?

Prompted by a discussion on the UK film photography website:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk

Do you sell your work? and how do you best achieve this?

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I TRY, try being the operative word. I hang work in restaurants/cafes/bookstores, group exhibits, and very rarely solo exhibits. It's a really tough hustle to get your work in front of people enough that they start to recognize you and want to buy your work. But every once in a while, someone will.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have tried half-heartedly, and have done a few group/solo exhibits. But my sales have been limited to one person who likes my work and happens to be a friend, who has bought a bunch of prints. That's OK, I'll take whatever I can get. Supposedly the prints he has bought hang in his corporate office in Chicago, but I've never checked. I think the serious seller must have a website, and that has always sounded like too much work for me. I haven't tried to sell anything in 5-6 years but now that I'm printing in colora again I intend to start showing again, maybe in a year or so.

I have also sold photographs that illustrate a couple articles I've published but those are hardly worth mentioning because the photos were not very good. They were just appropriate and necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I do. I started out as a portrait photog, did weddings and proms, and sold to magazines. Now I sell prints through a local art dealer.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yes ... both commercially, and work that has hung in galleries, on ebay, through my website, and through imagekind a website that prints frames and mails out work that i make.

how do i best achieve this ...
    constantly getting my name work and expertise in front of people who may or may not be interested ...
    lts not ez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, I do not. I was approached by a local camera shop once for a photograph they wanted to display on their wall.

Aside from that and wedding photography 10 years ago, I have never sold a single print. I really do not try to market my images. I don't do photography to get rich from, or even modestly compensated. Maybe that is what keeps it fresh. I guess I am the type that if I depend on the income derived from something that I truly love it gets tarnished and personal work suffers. This is why the wedding photography was ten years ago and not current.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do. For a long time, it was mostly at art festivals. In my "heyday", I sold a lot of hand-colored images. I had a bunch of people who would buy something each time I exhibited in their towns. I also have others who collected my Caribbean photos. I can think of at least a dozen people who own 10+ of my photos.
    I have a propensity for changing my photographic interests, though, and it doesn't usually align with the expectations/desires of the people who previously purchased from me. It caused a severe hit to my wallet, and I've scaled back my show schedule severely. I have no regrets about "my ever changing moods", even though it has had an effect on my income. From time to time, the hand-painting starts to feel stale, so I need to get away from it for awhile. I always come back, but prefer to spend my energy on projects which I find more exciting, at a particular time. Making money is great, but it's not why I do this.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I make most of my sales (and print rentals) at SFMoma Artist Gallery.
    I also do Open Studio every couple of years, this year's being the best in a long time. I think the mid range market is coming back a bit, it was grim for a few years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't sell my work, it saves me the disappointment of nobody wanting to buy it .
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used to, and hope to have time for this again, once I retire from my day job (hopefully soon). Did commecial gigs (high end galleries), spinoffs
    from publicly-funded shows, word of mouth. Website is an utter waste of time. Once you develop a reputation for high-quality prints, how the hell does someone perceive the quality if it's been sifted through a digital saltshaker, with 90% never getting through the tiny holes? In my case, people need to see the real deal.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin