Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,683   Online: 748

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blank mat board

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Daniel Smith in Seattle is my favorite place. danielsmith.com They are always having sales and free shipping with a reasonable size purchase.
    dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I normally buy full sheets of rag or "museum" board from Blick's, but there is a Blick store a nice 35 minute drive in the country from me (Allentown, Pa -- South Mall).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BEWARE if you buy neilsen baingridge alpharag artcare boards. The quality has gone way downhill no matter who you buy it from. Every sheet has defects and it's become a pain to work around.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Daniel Smith in Seattle is my favorite place. danielsmith.com They are always having sales and free shipping with a reasonable size purchase.
    dennis
    Dennis, I was looking through my inventory and saw that I had gone to Daniel Smiths last for full sheets. They're on the south end of town and easy to get to. They also have fresh coffee and tea. The store is fairly good sized and the staff is friendly. I'll try to make a trip down this week before my truck goes in for repairs.

Neilsen had a fine status but I've read comments about its quality too. I'll steer clear. Dick Blick and Jerry's Artarama have full sheets of 100% rag also. The nice thing about picking them up is seeing what I get, saving on shipping and the oversized load cost, and the lack of damage unless I'm responsible for it. The trade off is selection and tax. Since Daniel Smith has what I need the tax isn't much to ask.

On another topic I found 20 Neilsen #11 black frames I had in storage since 1981. In sections of course in craft wrappers complete with a big box of hardware. I bought them from Contemporary Frame Co. I checked to see if they were still in business and low and behold they are! I haven't heard them mentioned in any of the forums. They were great people back then.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the Frame Destination mentions!!! We really appreciate it!

Frame Destination carries 100% museum cotton rag (no facing paper) from Bainbridge in 4-ply and 8-ply.
    The blanks are on this page:
    http://www.framedestination.com/Uncut_Matboard.html

We sell cut to a particular size and raw sheets which of course are the most economical since we are not cutting them at all. Even if you buy a full box we still pack that in a larger box and provide extra protection to keep the corners from being damaged in shipping.

Documounts was purchased by Larson Juhl and later when Larson got a new CEO they decided to shut Documounts down.

If you buy pre-cuts in qty of the same size they do not cost much more than full sheets but you save a lot of labor. We use high end production mat cutters that cut much better than most people are able to with a manual mat cutter unless they are very skilled. Also, we try to cut around the defects in the sheets. You can see it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXjSUBhAOK4

We are planning on adding Crescent RagMat early next year and possibly their Museum RagMat.

Cheers,
    Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin