Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,122   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blank mat board

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Blank mat board

I'm looking for blank, not precut window, mat board. I believe there is a company in Portland Oregon that's recommended but the name escapes me. Any other recommendations for archival white mat board would be welcome.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any company that sells board will sell you blanks.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Right, any hobby shop should have it, as well as any shop that does framing. There's two kinds. The kind that has acid free paper glued to a center, non archival piece (the most common, and cheap version), and the kind that's expensive and is made from 100% cotton rag. If it's important, use the latter, as w/ the former, the acid in the center sandwiched board will eventually bleed through and discolor your print. It will take many years though. Acid free generally means paper that's made from wood pulp that's been bleached and otherwise chemically treated to remove the acids, while 100% cotton rag means just that. It's museum quality. Do yourself a favor and buy a whole sheet (big!) and cut it down for future stuff, as this will save you a fortune over buying smaller pre cut pieces. Comes in different thicknesses too.
    Last edited by momus; 12-16-2013 at 07:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.redimat.com/

On their price list, the far right column is for blanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    www.framedestination , an Apug sponsor, have a good selection.
    I'm not sure about Portland though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Freestyle (also an APUG partner) sells blank mat board, pre-cut to standard sizes like 11x14" (outer dimensions, this is not a window mat). This is what we generally refer our students to at CPCC. I don't think they carry uncut 32x40" boards, though. If I needed uncut full sheets of mat board, I would go to Cheap Joe's - they have a store here in Charlotte and are based in Boone, NC, home of my alma mater, Appalachian State. And they do ship.
    Last edited by rthomas; 12-16-2013 at 11:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo (what else is new?).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What quality are you looking for? 100% rag?

I have gotten frames from Frame Destination -- great service -- but not mat board. I bought board from Archival Methods with also great service and well protected when shipped (I was buying 20x24).
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought mats from Frame Destination– good service and quality material. I bought pre-cut, however. Regular mat board I used to buy from Dick Blick, but then I was buying for a school studio and would purchase 100 full sheets (32x40)...probably more than you need. Shipping large boards is difficult and many end up with the corners crimped. In a large studio, you just cut around the problem, knowing the scraps will get used for something, but I wouldn't want that kind of waste at home. Buy local if possible and let the store deal with the loss from shipping.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Curt, I suspect the Portland source you're thinking of is Documounts, but they went out of business in October 2012. When my remaining inventory of their mount boards is depleted, I'll probably use Frame Destination.
    Home pg.: http://www.framedestination.com/

My preference has always been to use the same board for mounting and overmat, cutting the window myself to suit the print dimensions. 4-ply AlphaRag #8634, a gorgeous smooth white board.
    Mat boards: http://www.framedestination.com/Mount_Board.html
    Last edited by silveror0; 12-16-2013 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Documounts was the one, I didn't know they closed after 28 years. I'm looking for 100% rag. I'll get with Framedestination for full sheets which I'm used to anyway. Thanks all!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin