Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,297   Online: 824

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    If you are trying to communicate with your audience another language may not be the best choice.
    The majority of people are fluent in no visual language. I have always had a strong educational element to my work and life. How can ya learn 'em if you don't show 'em?!

Guess we have stretched that analogy to its breaking point...
    Last edited by Vaughn; 12-25-2013 at 12:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the picture as it is. Square format 4 lyf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Love the square -- take a different visual language than rectangles (as do panoramic formats). Some folks prefer not to learn another language.
    Vaughn be nice, some people are not able to learn another language.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Square or Rect. Frame?

Humm, I often like square format images but I crop my 6x6 to rectangles or leave square depending in the image. I've always had my square images mounted, matted and (only one so far) framed square. The idea of putting a square image in a rectangular frame honestly never occurred to me. I'll have to think about that one and look at some examples.

For some images the square works perfectly. It can also just depend on the visual elements present. It seems to me that good composition is often about being able to frame a pleasing image while excluding distractions and visual irrelevancies. So it just depends on the scene. I happily crop to suit and don't expect the world to always match the image shape of the camera I'm using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Generally when one shoots in a rectangular format the composition fits the rectangular format.
    Generally when one shoots in a square format the composition fits the square format.
    The OP's photograph was composed for a square format and therefore will usually be best presented in a square format unless something needs to be cropped out.

Formulaic proportions are one size fits all solutions and therefore rarely fit any solution. Hence always changing a square composition to a rectangular one or a rectangular composition to a square one as a standard approach is more of a lack of understanding composition or total lack of imagination and original thought.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I personally like there to a bit more space on the bottom part of the mat than on the sides/top. So my suggestion would be; don't be stuck on standard sizes and think outside the box. Determine what width looks good for the top/sides and add about 20-30% for the bottom part. For for a 12x12 inch print I would probably go for 3 inch for the top & sides and 4 inch at the bottom making it a slightly rectangular frame. It will cost you a little bit more than a standard frame but it will look nicer and will stand out more at the show. And if you often print square at 12 x 12, you can easily re-use the frame in the future for other photos making it worth the extra $.

I've done the reverse too. A slightly rectangular photo in a custom square frame. It looked better to me than in a standard size rectangular frame.

Good luck with the show.

Menno
    Last edited by spijker; 12-25-2013 at 03:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a square print I made as a gift for my inlaws professionally mounted, matted and framed and she left a bit of the white border around three sides and more on the bottom for my signature. I can see the same principle working nicely if expanded to a bit more matt in the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas. Lots of good ideas here, and I like the concept of "optical centering." It would be good to use a frame I already have, and I do have one that's 18x24, though that might be too rectangular.

Not sure what brought on the comment about juries. I'm not looking for acceptance or validation. This particular show is an annual one dedicated to "lo-fi" cameras and lenses, and it's one that I've followed for a while. It will be my second year participating. As far as cropping, I don't do it as a rule (short of, say, shaving off an edge here or there to eliminate a distraction). If I got into the habit of recomposing photos that I've already taken, I might lose my mind. Anyway, I think this works well as a square. I know the E-6 cross-processed colors are a bit garish, but that's the negative scan, and the test prints I've made so far are more muted.

Thanks again everyone for looking and taking the time to comment...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it works well as a square, regardless of how you decide to frame it.
    I also don't think presenting your work to a jury is a desire for acceptance or validation. It's a show of confidence. Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Add up all the dimensions provided, divide by the number or responses to your question.

All I know is, I would have saved lots of time and money with standard frame sizes. In your case, with a 12X12 mat window or mount, the frame would be a 22X28. If you printed a bit smaller, to have a window or mount that is 11X11, then a 16X20 frame would work. Noticeable bottom weight on both accounts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin