Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,635   Online: 931

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mount Press work area tips…

Hi,

I now have use of my Seal 500T-X mount press and want to outfit the work area with the usual needed equipment. I am not planning on making the over mats yet, but want to mount prints.

Besides a mount press and tacking iron, what are some needed materials and tools for this?

Tips?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mount press and tacking iron, isn't this a bit old technology? what's wrong with self adhesive foam board?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Images
    Good Evening PKM,

Release paper is a virtual necessity. For small prints, you can use the backing material from address label sheets such as Avery. A flat, heavy weight can also come in handy to keep mounted material flat. For mounting RC prints, some Seal test strips help with temperature adjustment, although small snippets of RC material can also be used; just keep the temperature hot enough to do the job without causing damage (easy to see) to the material.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Air for dusting prints, or a gentle brush. Timer. Good trimmer. Shot bags/drafting weights for holding a positioned print on the board while you tack it. Rulers/t-square or a jig for positioning and centering. Something flat and heavy for pressing down on the mounted print as it cools down. Maybe a stamp. Have a read of the mounting section in "The Print" by AA.

I don't use release paper. I use two mats above and one below, prints never stick to the above boards, as long as they've been predried, and so has to be the mat board.

Enjoy the perfect look.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As Rafal says, pre dry the boards.
    Lately I've been using the Bienfang tissue which seals upon cooling and must say I'm not getting great results with it, corners are lifting. I'm still troubleshooting that tissue issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I assume you used Buffermount. I use Colormount tissue, and this problem is rare, Rorye, but if it happens, I cool down the press to about 80C, put the print back in for about 4 mins. Helps with "edge-long dimple" issue, too, which I mentioned here a while ago.

Are you letting your mounted prints cool down under some pressure? Should help.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Rafal, thanks for the tip. I used to use Colormount and never had the issue, it only came up when I switched to Buffermount so I was planning to switch back. It sounds like I don't let the press cool down enough before I put the print back in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    release paper is fine but you need to keep it clean. I use parchment paper (under a sheet of mat board) in sheets which is dirt cheap and can be tossed if it gets dirty or wrinkled. I also do not own a tacking iron. I just never got around to buying one but the regular iron I use works pretty well, just a little large for the task. I use shot bags for weight on top of something flat, Having a piece (or two) of 3/4"mdf to put on top of the mounted print is handy too since it will remain pretty flat over time. It's also the heaviest thing around. 3/4" gator board works well too if you have enough weights.
    Last edited by wildbill; 01-18-2014 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You'll want a paper trimmer to trim print to final mount size once the tissue is tacked to the back of the print. I use a cheap iron bought from a hobby shop. I buy tissue in rolls to have any size available I need. Like Wildbill I use parchment paper from the local grocery store for a release paper and put mount under a 2 ply Matt board while in the press. If I have many prints to mount at a time I take each print out of hot press and put between two sheets of 1/4 inch plate glass (it's the flattest stuff I have, other flat surface should work fine) with a 20 lb barbell on it. If I'm only doing a single print, I'll just turn the press off and let the mount cool in the press which always give flawless mounts with no edge lifting which can sometimes happen. In our climate I don't find it necessary to pre dry the mounts unless you have bought the Matt board recently from a source that has a humid climate and it is still sealed up in plastic not allowing it to dry out.
    I find it easier to tack the print to the mount board by eye. Just line up the over Matt on the mount and stick the print where it needs to be and tack it down. Much less time than measuring out lines and such. I don't mind cutting my own over matts, it's pretty simple once you do it a few times but if all your prints are uniform in size a pre cut overmatt makes sense because you don't really save much except you can often use the cut out from the overmatt to use a mounts for smaller prints when you do it yourself.
    I'm sure after you do the whole mounting thing, you'll pick it up pretty quickly - it really is simple. Here's a pic of the parchment and tack iron I use if it might be useful.
    Good luck...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what brand/model is that tacking iron?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin