Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,250   Online: 784

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Big Print Supplies (Matboard and Clearbags)

Hi, I am in the process of finishing up some large prints that will be mounted on 40x48 4-ply mat board.

I know I will need to buy 40x60 mat board and was wondering if anyone here has a good source for this larger size board that doesn't charge a fortune for shipping?

Also, I will need to transport the prints once matted to their destination and need some type of solution for protecting the prints. The size of the finished print with mat is 40x48.

Thanks for your tips and info in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://lodima.org/archival-materials/
    I've ordered from them and their shipping is reasonable. It costs lots of dough to ship 40x60 and the chances of getting zero damage isn't good with anyone who doesn't pack it well. I once took three shipments before getting 32x40 boards that weren't dog-eared on more than one corner. Another thing to note is that the quality of neilsen bainbridge artcare has gone downhill. Order plenty extra. Even with someone "hand picking" my sheets, I had several sheets that weren't usable and almost all had defects I had to cut around which results in lots of waste. Silly at the current prices.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You might want to investigate the framing shops and art stores in your area. While they may be higher than online, it's the shipping that bumps the prices up so much. If you just put the prints facing each other and use tape and some folded cardboard where the tape meets the mats, you can safely transport them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where are you located? You might check with http://www.framedestination.com/ which is one of the advertisers/sponsors of this site. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks everyone for the tips/info. I am putting together a cost spreadsheet for all the bits and pieces and I will definitely research the local cost (which seems higher) but as you've said here, between the shipping and quality issues, it just may be worth it. Thanks again.

Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    PS-
    Any have ideas of what to use for the 40x48 finished prints to transport them to the gallery? I've used clear bags in the past, but I am not aware of any bags this size. My plan is to protect the prints somehow and then install them in the Nielsen frames with Plexi once I arrive. My backup plan is to get some clear plastic drop cloth from the local hardware store and wrap each print, but something like a bag would be a lot nicer. Also, based on what I know right now, the gallery wants some extra prints that are matted and ready to go so the customer can purchase and take to their own framing provider.

Shooter
    35mm
    Contractor bags might work. They're heavy black plastic bags that you should be able to find at your local home improvement store. If they're not wide or long enough you can always slit a couple of them and duct tape them together to make a bigger bag. Plus because they're black and not clear, people will wonder what you've got in them.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    We created GalleryPouch bags specifically for transporting artwork to galleries and art shows.
    http://www.framedestination.com/Gall...Wrap_Bags.html
    http://gallerypouch.com/

Quote Originally Posted by analog65 View Post
    PS-
    Any have ideas of what to use for the 40x48 finished prints to transport them to the gallery? I've used clear bags in the past, but I am not aware of any bags this size. My plan is to protect the prints somehow and then install them in the Nielsen frames with Plexi once I arrive. My backup plan is to get some clear plastic drop cloth from the local hardware store and wrap each print, but something like a bag would be a lot nicer. Also, based on what I know right now, the gallery wants some extra prints that are matted and ready to go so the customer can purchase and take to their own framing provider.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analog65 View Post
    I know I will need to buy 40x60 mat board and was wondering if anyone here has a good source for this larger size board that doesn't charge a fortune for shipping?
    Shipping to where? Do you have a Rising distributor at/near your undisclosed location? Local art supply stores aren't likely to have suitable archival boards for some types of prints (notably GSPs), again unspecified by you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I live near the Smoky Mountain Park in Gatlinburg, TN. I will explore the Rising distributor option that you mentioned. Thank you.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Shipping to where? Do you have a Rising distributor at/near your undisclosed location? Local art supply stores aren't likely to have suitable archival boards for some types of prints (notably GSPs), again unspecified by you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin