Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,975   Online: 1058

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The best portfolio for me has been my 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab-2. An iPad would work fine too. Some other cheaper tablets have crappy displays that do not make the photos look good, but the iPad and the Samsungs have pretty nice screens. I'm a working professional. I have no desire to carry more stuff than I need to, and taking the attitude that you will not scan anything to show people is just plain dumb. Without a website today, you might as well not even bother if you want to sell or exhibit your work. You should not let emotions get in the way of business.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would agree with Chris about using a tablet, except for one issue.

If your work has very distinct physical characteristics (e.g. carbon prints or wet plate) you would want to complement the tablet with at least one actual print.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've made some small books of fibre based prints, they are in storage (or I'd measure them) but I mean small - I had to make reduction prints from 5x4 negatives. Others are a bit larger.

Small books are great, a wonderful exercise in editing and sequencing, and a powerful way of showing images in an understated way. So you cut the hype (of overly large prints) and show the content, good content looks great at all sizes.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When I was traveling for 6 months with a 4x5, I carried a 4x5/25sheet film box filled with loose 4x5 contact prints to share with others, or just to go thru myself when I was bored. It was a nice informal portfolio -- no mat board to get dirty, I did not worry about how people handled the prints...and the prints made for fun gifts if the occasion warranted it...or a very nice business card.

I carried a second 4x5/25 sheet film box contained my spare GG.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't want to do the tablet thing... see my OP about getting approached while out on long hikes/backpacking/climbing/canyoneering trips. Also, never said I was a professional that was *actively* trying to sell my work. Again, if the situation comes up or someone likes my work, I'll sell prints, but it's not a huge deal. If I ever did, I would definitely scan my work and get it online. As it stands, I can't stand editing on a computer, and don't have a decent scanner.

I like the idea of carrying around a box of contact prints/4x5 prints, actually, seems simple, as there's nothing to really worry about. An old film box or paper box would be easy to toss in with my gear.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever you do, especially if you do go with physical prints, even though you may think of this as informal thing, make sure the quality and consistency are there. Most people do not appreciate the finer differences but some do. So please think of this as a portfolio that you will show to a National Geographic or New York Times or equivalent reviewer, and not just a random person on the street. You never know who you are going to meet.

The tablet does have an advantage there - with the bright and "interacting with a tablet" experience, some times it can mask off the defects of a portfolio.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by didjiman View Post
    Whatever you do, especially if you do go with physical prints, even though you may think of this as informal thing, make sure the quality and consistency are there. Most people do not appreciate the finer differences but some do. So please think of this as a portfolio that you will show to a National Geographic or New York Times or equivalent reviewer, and not just a random person on the street. You never know who you are going to meet.

The tablet does have an advantage there - with the bright and "interacting with a tablet" experience, some times it can mask off the defects of a portfolio.
    Thanks for the tip on that. Subpar prints never leave the darkroom, unless I'm tired and the defects are really tiny. I'll usually sort through things a few more times, too... So the quality will be there, I just need to figure out an easy/durable/decent way to carry/display them. Again, tablet doesn't really work for me =/ An intriguing idea for the future, though.

Off topic a bit, but what are people using to scan prints these days? I've got an Epson 4490 in storage that has striping issues. If I *did* decide to put together a website, which wouldn't be too bad, I guess, I have enough experience to put it all together and effectively market it, I'd rather do medium res scans of prints instead of trying to get film scans to match my prints. I'd also have to get over my perfectionist issues... selling prints to people who occasionally ask seems totally fine, but I doubt I'd ever think any of my work was *really* good enough to market and sell.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Large Format
    i used to carry pratt pressbooks around all the time
    just for the reason you are talking about.
    i got mine at pearl paint in cambridge mass,
    but i am sure they sell similar things at any art supply store.

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done what Vaughn did. A 4x5 box with contact prints. I'd carry a variety of things- straight prints, sepia/split toned, hand-colored, and a few (sleeved) color transparencies. I also kept a few matted/bagged enlargements in the car, if anyone cared to see them. I actually sold a few of the matted ones that way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Instead of trying to scan a print (especially a large one requiring multiple scans being merged) just use a decent digi camera on a copy-stand. I spent years doing this with flat artwork and an 8x10, and it works just as well with a digi-camera.

Having said that, small prints can easily be shown off in a "luxury" manner in a selfmade Japanese-folder style booklet. A sort of concertina style arrangement of one very long page. That Moleskin company make them too, if one doesn't have a bookbinder friend to glue up the covers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin