Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,443   Online: 852

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Off topic a bit, but what are people using to scan prints these days?
    All of my prints are 344 x 277mm on 30 x 40 paper so a scanner would have to be A3 and that would be a big expense for me plus they are pretty big things to have in our cramped flat. What I do (all images on my website were done this way) is to use a small digital camera. I bought a secondhand Lumix LX3 for a very reasonable price based on many recommendations from friends and it works a treat (albeit the longest end of the zoom is still rather short).

As we both produce work on a regular basis, I photograph our work twice per year. To photograph my work and my partner's paintings, I fix four nails with right angled heads to the wall (spaced so that they hold my mounted prints flat to the wall) and then I set up a 'studio' setting with the Lumix on a tripod, two builder's lights at 45˚ and a large piece of matt black card with a hole cut in the centre (to stop reflections off the prints) that fits over the lens. I then place a sheet of white paper mounted on a board where my B&W mounted prints and the painting will be placed and use the custom white balance feature to get accurate colours. I then take a meter reading and set the camera exposure mode to manual. This method gives very good results with minimal requirement for editing later (other than making the images of my work greyscale).

I have found that carrying around small example prints was not really worth it (I very rarely get approached when I am photographing despite using a Mamiya 7 with a shoulder brace). However, when at exhibition openings, meeting with friends or social gatherings people are generally very interested in what work I make (often prompted by someone mentioning that I work with film and make my prints in a darkroom) and giving them a card with my website address and offering to show them the real prints if they find my website interesting has proved to be very successful.

I do not sell enough to make a living but, through the website / visiting to see the prints, having an 'open studio' once per year and through solo exhibitions I certainly can subsidise my work (I sell on average 20 prints per year).

I would recommend making a website as a way of people being able to get a 'first glimpse' of your work.

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    would an ipad work?some of my B&Wimages lokk better on a screen than in real life;better midtone contrast I think.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm pretty handy, but mostly with woodwork, so I may commission my girlfriend/printing partner into making something. I alos have lots of scraps of exotic wood laying around from my guitar building days, I may do a simple bandsaw box to hold bleed-mounted 4x5 prints and contacts.

Thanks for the tips on the copy stand-- we do have a nice Pentax DSLR for the family/friends/quick turnaround type deals (no idea where the charger is at this point), and my F30 pulls double duty as a copy stand. I'll try that combo out and see what I can do. Unlike a piece of film, I think I could capture the range of a print pretty nicely without a bunch of digital trickery.

Int
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    Hey everyone,

So some quick background-- I don't *actively* sell my photography. I print for myself and friends, and give away small prints to friends and family, which has in turn lead to the occasional sale-- not anywhere near enough to quit my day job, but enough to fund film and paper here and there. I have thought about marketing myself, but these days, that seems to be frequently online.
    Why? It's sounds like you are a like most on here, a photo enthusiast, not a working photographer...

I have great, clever ways in which I show actual prints in the field while I am working, but being the "CEO" of my own small company, there is no way in hell I am sharing that stuff with enthusiasts online, lol!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I have great, clever ways in which I show actual prints in the field while I am working, but being the "CEO" of my own small company, there is no way in hell I am sharing that stuff with enthusiasts online, lol!
    I wouldn't expect anyone to share their personal business practices with me, just looking for tips from the other 'photo enthusiasts' that make up this community =)

I agree though, I run a small engineering project management company, and as the CEO, I would *never* share about my practices on an online forum, but am more than happy to share tips and tricks from any of my hobbies.

I've got some great ideas from here, and I'll work something up that is my own-- not really going to copy anyone on here either.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!!!
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't dream of carrying a "pocket portfolio" showing it to all and sundry, boring the pants off people, and becoming a nerd.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used the Kolo's as already mentioned with photo corners. I also have some 5x7's by Itoya Profolio, those have sleeves that you can slide prints in and out and are streamlined and compact to carry. Plain black plastic covers. Haven't used that size a lot but sometimes comes in handy. I have an older one that's 8x10 but can't think off hand of the brand.
    Sharon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I wouldn't dream of carrying a "pocket portfolio" showing it to all and sundry, boring the pants off people, and becoming a nerd.
    It is useful if you want to photograph a person or their property. People want to know what you're doing with the photos, and just seeing some good work you've done is usually enough to get them to trust you.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin