Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,540   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"Pocket" Portfolios, Anyone?

Hey everyone,

So some quick background-- I don't *actively* sell my photography. I print for myself and friends, and give away small prints to friends and family, which has in turn lead to the occasional sale-- not anywhere near enough to quit my day job, but enough to fund film and paper here and there. I have thought about marketing myself, but these days, that seems to be frequently online. I spend most of my time during my work day sitting in front of a PC, so I've never really had the desire to keep doing that after work.

Anyways, I abandoned digital a while back for that reason, and was often approached by skeptical and/or curious onlookers about my cameras and film usage. That has increased tenfold since dragging around MF gear, and I suspect will increase again when people start seeing me with my old 4x5. It also seems like I frequently get asked if I am a professional, and/or where they can see my results. I do spend a lot of time backpacking and hiking to my locations, sometimes very remote, sometimes not. Previously my answer has been along the lines of "I don't scan and display digitally, as my B&W work loses something when comparing to the actual prints". I also can't really point them anywhere to see my work.

Anyways, I don't know if any of these types would actually buy prints from me or become customers, but a lot of the time I feel like I may be missing out.

I can't really carry a portfolio of large prints around with me everywhere. I've been thinking of ways to display smaller prints that can stay with me in my pack or camera bag for these situations. Maybe I'll sell some more prints this way, and in the least it'll get them to stop asking a bunch of questions while I'm in the middle of things, lol.

So, does anyone carry something like a 5x7 portfolio around? Also, if so, does anyone have any recommendations for displaying at the smaller sizes that won't look cheap like the flip photo books in the days of minilab C-41?

Compact and professional is what I'm after, if such a thing exists.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've often thought of doing something like that, but my gut feeling is that curiosity in odd cameras on the street does not result in sales. Just my experience w/ talking to people who approach me, which usually happens when I'm shooting a folder.

For galleries I have two schemes. One is a nice little box that is made of warm toned handmade paper, and inside the box are small fiber prints. I do not put them in clear sleeves, but leave a couple of pairs of white cotton gloves inside the box on top of the prints, and I ask the people to don them and take the prints out and look at them if they are interested in viewing them. The other approach is to put the small prints in a handmade binder book, w/ the prints held in place by corner mounts that are glued to the handmade paper. I prefer the former, but it's less convenient to carry. There's something about actually holding the prints in your hands.

I do something similar when showing lino cut prints or paintings to galleries, and always have. I refuse to give them slides. If they would like to see the work I come 'round w/ some of it, or invite them over to view it. If that doesn't work for them, and sometimes it doesn't, I thank them for their time and leave. Later, when I come by to see their new shows, we often talk again. You want to let people know that your work is high quality, unique and special, and first impressions can be important. I hate to say this, but unfortunately it's true. You're selling yourself as well as the work. The art game is all about knowing who the players are.
    Last edited by momus; 02-14-2014 at 01:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to carry a small book, 5x7. It was spiral bound with black pages. I used clear corner mounts to hold photos in. I didn't have more than about 20 photos. The first half were 4x4inch b&w prints from my Rollei and the rest were 4x6 color prints.

It was very helpful with curious people and helped break barriers. I've gotten leads and access to things I otherwise may not have been able to photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a small 5x7" Kolo book of albumen prints--6x6 in the cover window and 4x5" dry mounted to the inside pages--that I usually carry in my bag when I'm shooting large format, mainly to show people who ask me about the strange looking camera. I keep it in a glassine sleeve that I change occasionally so it doesn't get too damaged, but it's meant to be handled, and people can touch the prints.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips. For my "regular" portfolio, I do something similar, with mounted 8x10s, but plastic sleeved and RC prints (don't have the capacity to do a lot of FB in my home darkroom) in a nice box but I don't approach galleries with it... If I did I would do those on fiber.

My concern for doing something similar in a small size would be someone dropping everything everywhere. I like the box type presnetation. Maybe a "flip book" of single weight matte with 4x5's mounted, kept in a box would look good.

I spend so much time backpacking, and often find myself by people with cell phones and tiny digicams, I figured that maybe if I have a small portfolio with prints superior to what they get on their preview screen, they just *might* spring for a reasonably priced 8x10 or 11x14 from me.

I do frequent pretty common scenic trips, most recently Havasu Canyon, where I'm amazed at the money people throw around for the 'luxury' experience. Might have some luck in places like these, but I think you're probably right with the average situation.

edit: in response to momus above, didn't see the other replies until after I typed this up.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Attachment 82296

Years ago I found the above in a charity shop and have not yet quite filled it up, but it measures 5.5" X 4" X 1" thick and I think it's kind of cute.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I posted some photos of the small album in an old thread. Scroll to posts #19-20:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/2...otebook-2.html
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I posted some photos of the small album in an old thread. Scroll to posts #19-20:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/2...otebook-2.html
    That looks excellent. Thanks.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't actively sell my stuff either. But if someone shows interest, I'd either sell it or give it away, depending on who and why.

I have full size prints of some of my best work mounted, matted, and sleeved, and in a box, ready to show. To me, a photograph must be presented in a way that shows the best. Most of my "stuff" look so different when matted. Also, size makes difference in how it shows. So that's why I do it that way.

I also have a pair of mount board and mat board with window on the side. I can quickly put other work (from folio) and show it.

I rarely show my photos in folio by themselves.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usally carry 8x10.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin