Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,644   Online: 856

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Stock Photo Licencing Rates

Specifically I've been asked by a friend (not a close one - an acquaintance) to use one of my b&w photographs on the cover of his new crime novel paperback. I do not know yet the the print run or much else. Anybody have a general idea what I should charge? I'm thinking at least $200 and maybe as much as $600.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brass,

we have it a bit more easy as we have some guidelines for calculation, you probably also find some.

The amount depends on the size of the edition.

With the following I found as recommandation in 2013:

Sorry, only in German:

http://www.mediafon.net/meldung_voll...n_empfehlungen

Go to 2.) Zeitschriften (Magazines) ... booklets

Choose your editon, e.g. 25.000 and on the most right column "title" --> "450" Euro ...

Depending on the size of the edition you have a nice guideline and a help for argueing ;-)

hth
    Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for posting that Horst, really useful. Are they suggested rated for reproduction and print runs in Germany or actual official rates? My German is bad enough to understand the charts but not the small print!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I recommend going to Getty Images, finding some similar types of photos, and checking their pricing. They have pricing schemes for all type of licensing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another source of pricing is the annual pricing guide published by the Graphic Artists Guild. It's useful for licensing when you have a request for an offbeat usage, as they have suggested rates for just about anything you could possibly imagine. Most bookstores carry it, or you can find it on Amazon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin