Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,403   Online: 748

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rough platen on small press

Hello,
    I've got an 11x14 Seal press with a sticky platen. Any advice on how to get it smooth again?
    thanks
    charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm assuming the is sticky stuff on the platen and the platen is otherwise undamaged. Were it mine, I'f probably take the rubber bottom piece out try some mineral spirits with an old wash cloth. Seal has become D&K (I think) and they have a tech support site: http://www.forframersonly.com/techHelp.asp which might get you headed in the right direction. Bill BArber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd use something a little stronger than mineral spirits, say acetone or naptha, but only with good ventilation and nitrile gloves. If a simple wash won't do it, you may be looking at a need for serious solvent action, which you may or may not be comfortable doing at home. If so, lacquer thinner will clean just about anything off anything, but it's nasty stuff. Again, don't forget the gloves and ventilation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up a government surplus press a few months ago. It was filthy. I tried all the solvents I had - no luck. Finally used an orbital sander with a fine grade paper. Polished up real nice. The platen was aluminum and a quick wipe afterwards cleaned up the last of dust/dirt. I have a feeling the were mounting printed material rather than photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a note. Nitrile gloves disintegrate in acetone but latex is OK.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all,
    George
    I thought it would be best to remove the platen in order to resurface it. Is it as easy as it looks? Just the perimeter screws?
    charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMexican View Post
    Thanks all,
    George
    I thought it would be best to remove the platen in order to resurface it. Is it as easy as it looks? Just the perimeter screws?
    charlie
    I'd have to look again, but I just removed some screws so I could flip the top up. If I recall just a bit past vertical but still attached to the base.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin