Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,734   Online: 844

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Analog website feedback please?

I finally put a personal website up. Any thoughts for improvements would be appreciated, thanks!
    www.contact49.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not bad looking.

I'm running the latest Safari on a MacBook.

The fly in thing on the left (Facebook etc...) blocks your text on the home, about and contact pages making it really hard to read, not good.

Your name and business name are not prominent in any of the galleries.

The little chain link looking thing at the bottom corner of the images in slide mode takes us someplace weird.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Mark, great points to be addressed.

Shooter
    35mm
    What Mark has said. The fly-in thing is particularly annoying but I am a bit old fashioned in my approach and what isn't intuitive to me might be fine with the kind of "clued-up" people who may be your customers

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very clean and importantly, it loads fast. But it doesn't appear to identify you personally. I don't think it is necessary to show a business name unless you actually operate a business (and using one's name often the business name, too).

I suggest finding a javascript to have the front page scale down to the active size of the browser window on the netizen's PC. Some browsers will scale automatically. There is a lot of superfluous downscroll on the home page. Another way is to reduce the main image and remove any extraneous spacers/lines. Doing away with scroll bars on the front page is a major consideration for people who don't want to move up/down or side to side to see the whole page content.

Consider repeating the links above also, for the same reason people do not have to move down to the bottom of the page to find the next page link.

There is a lot of white space that could be utilised e.g. for next/previous page links rather than putting these down at the bottom. On my laptop I have to scroll down to see them.

Chrome and Firefox 27.0.2: I do not see any fly-in obstructing or otherwise interfering with homepage text. A cursory look at the source code doesn't show it either.

Very interesting and stylish variety of work.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi rorye i looked at it on my ipad with the newest safari
    loved the images but i somehow opended up on etsy and fb
    ( i dont have a fb account ) maybe when i was sizing my screen ?
    very sleek, and minimalist, like mies van der rohe, i like that.
    john

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes, interesting that the social media bar didn't show up in web builder. I agree, it was totally distracting and serves no purpose for me. Next the chain link has to go.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Gary and John, very useful info, it's appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks good to me.

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin