Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,855   Online: 1013

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Small photographic prints

Small photographic prints can be very strong and I wondered if there are any exhibitions specific to small size prints?
    I notice there is the Biennial Miniature Print Exhibition (BIMPE) held every two years in Vancouver, British Columbia. This exhibition is a showcase for small scale works measuring no more than 15cm X 10cm and often open to images made using all printmaking techniques from traditional line etching to contemporary digital processes. I take it this could also include photographic prints.

However, I get the impression this is more a general printmaking exhibition and wondered if there is, or should be something more aligned to small photographic prints. I think such an exhibition would be very popular.

Any thoughts?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a thought.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Small photographic prints can be very strong and I wondered if there are any exhibitions specific to small size prints?
    I notice there is the Biennial Miniature Print Exhibition (BIMPE) held every two years in Vancouver, British Columbia. This exhibition is a showcase for small scale works measuring no more than 15cm X 10cm and often open to images made using all printmaking techniques from traditional line etching to contemporary digital processes. I take it this could also include photographic prints.

However, I get the impression this is more a general printmaking exhibition and wondered if there is, or should be something more aligned to small photographic prints. I think such an exhibition would be very popular.

Any thoughts?
    I recently bought some 5x7 matt fibre paper with the specific intention of working towards smaller prints. I normally do 8x10 and 9.5x12. I think the subject matter has to be carefully chosen. The image should be 'readable', even from a distance. Fibre paper in this size is also easier to handle for people like me who don't have the time to wash, dry and flatten larger sizes. My first efforts were ok, and I intend to pursue this approach. I'm not aware of any particular exhibitions or groups dedicated to smaller prints, but I have detected an interest recently in this type of work. One distinct advantage is the ability to work with premium papers at a reasonable cost. It's difficult to perfect a print when you know that you only have 10 or 25 sheets, and each one costs a lot!
    Alex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for starting this thread.

I went to BIMPE's website, and it is fascinating: http://m4.i.pbase.com/g5/29/663529/3...4.CNr6Oy5Q.jpg

The catalogues from previous years are worth reviewing.

I don't see any work that is purely photographic, but there certainly are examples of photogravure and other processes that have a photographic component.

Unfortunately, the deadline for submission this year is tomorrow .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread.

I went to BIMPE's website, and it is fascinating: http://m4.i.pbase.com/g5/29/663529/3...4.CNr6Oy5Q.jpg

The catalogues from previous years are worth reviewing.

I don't see any work that is purely photographic, but there certainly are examples of photogravure and other processes that have a photographic component.

Unfortunately, the deadline for submission this year is tomorrow .
    Sorry Matt, bad timing on my part.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I print all my 4x5 pinholes on 8x10. Small 4x5 image. Very fancy. On Ilford art300. Exquisite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm

andy

Andy Warhol apparently exhibited 8x10 inch prints in art galleries. He is said to have used a Minox subminiature camera for several years.
    Anything is possible. And who knows maybe you have an idea that will break new ground. I am putting together a FrankenGraphic 4x5 camera from various parts and will be shooting one-of-a-kind originals on 4x5 paper. I think a lot of folks are doing this. Maybe we need a gallery show of our own. I've done the 11x14, 11x16 gallery route. I am ready for something new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a few years back i audienced work at a gallery that was smaller than 5x7
    a few months later they did an entire exhibition on miniature prints
    and yours truly was the guest juror .. there is something quite beautiful
    about small images. they really make you look at them rather than fall into them.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    a few years back i audienced work at a gallery that was smaller than 5x7
    a few months later they did an entire exhibition on miniature prints
    and yours truly was the guest juror .. there is something quite beautiful
    about small images. they really make you look at them rather than fall into them.
    I agree. I love getting close and personal with small prints and one of my goals is to create a portfolio of small prints.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Many of us know how good small prints look, particularly contacts from MF and LF. What I would like to see is an annual exhibition of small photographic prints, maximum size 5” X 4” with all APUG members allowed to submit up to 5 prints. All prints could be offered for sale at a nominal cost of say $10 (to ensure we sell at least 100 to cover costs and perhaps a donation to APUG). So all we need is a good venue preferably in USA with some members who would help put them on display. This could form the future basis of an APUG book.
    Any suggestions?

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin